Portacabin as a workshop/shed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I was planning to build a fairly large workshop in the garden- 24ft x 8ft, but the hassle involved of getting the materials, the time in building it and the costs are quite off-putting to do it well and have it insulated to a high standard.

So I've been toying with the idea of getting a second hand portacabin/site office- they seem to be a standard 28ft x 9ft or 32ft x 10ft.
We have more than enough land, and I was planning to paint it in green etc to tone it down, and with having a metal exterior I could even get logs from the forest and saw them down the middle and clad it like a log cabin, or even clad it with treated overlap cladding.
But would I need planning permission to put something this size in a private garden? It seems a sensible idea as long as it doesn't look like a portacabin then would anyone question it? All I'd need is a few solid pad foundations and an electric supply brought out to it?

Any ideas?

Sponsored Links
Cheers- will look into that, downside of where I live is that beyond the usual top tier of LABC bureaucracy we also have the Cairngorm National Park Planners who call in everything (inc greenhouses, sheds, fecking kennels and bird tables!!! )...

Sponsored Links
Call it the Alex Salmond Renewable Energy Interpretation Centre and you'll probably get a grant for it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back