Position of electricity meter

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I would like to move my electricity meter due to an awkward cupboard position.

The meter would move to the wall outside the cupboard but on the other side of a partition wall.
The new partition wall is partly across the old cupboard.

Distance from my requested position to the service head is only one metre or so , tails passing through a conduit in the wall.

However I was told today by the DNO rep who visited that this is not possible because the service head and the meter must BOTH be visible from the one location
(to ensure safety when working on the meter - isolation can be confirmed by looking at pulled fuse)

This means both service head and meter must move (at an estimated cost of £850-£1000.

Not having a spare £1000 kicking about , any suggestions , or am I stuck with the meter where it is.

Sponsored Links
Meter and cutout are always move together - and if moving them, wouldn't you need to also move the CU?

850 seems steep for a little move.

Is yours over head supply, or underground?? Lead sheathed, or PVC??

Sponsored Links
Underground costs more...

Lead sheathed cost more...

This is why your quote is so high...

Not a lot more to say im afraid :confused:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back