Positioning of pump (orientation)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am replacing our central heating pump and have a question about the installation orientation.

The new pump instructions say the pump should be mounted with the rotor shaft in the horizontal position - ie the pipe work should be vertical.

Our existing pump (which worked for the last 8 years) was mounted so the pipe-work was horizontal and the pump rotor shaft was vertical.

Can anyone explain the symptoms of mounting the pump so that the shaft is vertical rather than horizontal?

NB, the existing pump still works, and the reason for changing it is that having added new radiators to the heating circuit the hot water is not reaching the furthest away radiator. Wilo suggested a bigger pump (ie 6m instead of 5m) should resolve the problem.

Sponsored Links
Thanks Seco.

So it doesn't impede performance of the pump, it just causes it to wear out quicker - is that right?

was also told along time ago that having the shaft in the hori ontal position, the water at the body aids motor cooling.

Sponsored Links
The shaft can still be horizontal, even if the pipe is horizontal. In this case, you normally tilt it slightly off horizontal to aid bleeding.

[quote="looneyfitter";p="1733871"]
The shaft can still be horizontal, even if the pipe is horizontal. In this case, you normally tilt it slightly off horizontal to aid bleeding.

I am assuming it is under floor boards or summit and the shaft is verticle.[/quote]

It may otherwise be on an early Servowarm - they (Grundfoss, If I remember correctly) were factory fitted in the perfectly vertical position, and there was no way to alter it!

Thanks for all the responses.

I just wanted to be clear if whether the orientation of the pump may be contributing to my flow problem before I changed it.

Looks like this isn't the case, so I'll press on with the exchange and see what results.

Thanks again

I just wanted to be clear if whether the orientation of the pump may be contributing to my flow problem before I changed it.

We do go on.LOL

Can't you turn it on the axis, to the correct orientation?

Can't you turn it on the axis, to the correct orientation?

A bit awkward the way it was installed - although not impossible with a bit of re-plumbing - which I will do if the higher rated pump solves the main problem. ;)

Higher head of pump Willo make a difference ;) 6m Grundfoss would be better ( just personal choice)

I changed the pump for a 6m and still have a problem.

The heated water flows in the original heating circuit OK, but the new circuit which is branched off the original circuit just after the pump remains cold.

The hot water flows in the new circuit for about 2-3 metres then cools down as if there is no circulation.

There are no air blocks in the system, but the new circuit (22mm pipe) rises 2.2 metres above the existing circuit (into the loft ) then runs about 5m (straight run about 1m below the header tank) before dropping down into the extension.

The guy at Wilo suggested a second pump in the new circuit situated in the straight run through the loft should resolve the problem.

I'll try this tomorrow, but in the meantime - any views or alternative suggestions anyone?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back