Possible Faulty/Failing 20W T4 Strip Light?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
As some may know, I have 3 T4 fluorescent strip lights for under cabinet lighting in my kitchen.

The other day I noticed the middle 20W one was not lit. Tried the switch on the strip light, but nothing. Then tapped it a couple of times and it came back to life and lit up.

It has been playing up in the same way since then with the same issue of wont light up until it is tapped. I have all ready removed and reinserted the bulb, but that so far has not helped.

My guess at the moment is a poor connection on the contacts, but not 100% sure.

If it's the ballast and I have to remove the unit... well maybe I should have used something other than a grab adhesive when I fitted them.... :rolleyes::notworthy:

Sponsored Links
It could be the tube, or something else….I have known those fittings fail fairly readily, especially if they are under a cupboard where steam is a regular visitor.
Not much help I know, but start with the easy option first. Change the tube.

Sponsored Links
I would agree change the tube. With fluorescent lamps stroking the tube was an old method to get an ageing tube to light. So likely the presence of your hand is enough to fire it up. Very likely new tube will cure it, you will also likely find new tube much brighter so may want to swap them all.

They look like Eterna fittings to me. If you don't change the tubes as soon as they start to fail (flickering is a good sign), the electronics get blown up and you will then have to replace the whole fitting. Switch off the little switch on the fitting now before it's too late!

Look like the ones I've got, from B&Q. One of mine started flickering, by the time I got to change the tube it had melted the ends of the diffuser. I got a new fitting. Mine was 3 years old. The problem with these fittings is they are instant start, which means the tube is put under a lot of strain when starting. If you turn them on and off frequently, say every time you go in and out of the kitchen, then this will shorten the life of them significantly compared to long periods of running once a day for example.

I wish they were a gentler start, I like the ones that look like they gently strike the tube from one end to the other over a couple of seconds - they seem optimised for long lamp life.

I keep telling the OH she should use the LED downlights rather than the fluorescent strips on her short jaunts to the kitchen, but she won't listen. If we weren't moving house I'd have splashed out on LED strips, but its on the market so I just swapped it for another fluorescent for the cheapest.

My mother has them at her house, they provide a really good light to work under, but the tubes only last 2 years at the most.

If you turn them on and off frequently, say every time you go in and out of the kitchen, then this will shorten the life of them significantly compared to long periods of running once a day for example.
Why would you want to leave them burning when not in the kitchen, surely if you leave a room for any length of time then you switch the lights off( e.g. going for a bath in a morning, going to another room to eat, etc). Personally I just think they are a load of c**p.

If you turn them on and off frequently, say every time you go in and out of the kitchen, then this will shorten the life of them significantly compared to long periods of running once a day for example.
Why would you want to leave them burning when not in the kitchen, surely if you leave a room for any length of time then you switch the lights off( e.g. going for a bath in a morning, going to another room to eat, etc). Personally I just think they are a load of c**p.
Exactly my point - they aren't well suited to domestic kitchens for lamp life. In domestic kitchens in general people make several short visits through the day. Many times, they want gentle light not the big light, so they put on the under cabinet lights. Which don't like short running and frequent switching. Not good. This is why I tell R lass to use the big light (7x 3w LEDs) which will tolerate being switched on and off all day long!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back