Possible gutter leak causing damp in bedroom

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Having some gutter (I think!) problems. I live in an old (circa 1880s) mid-terraced house that has started showing signs of damp in the bedroom over the past week. After a bit of heating to dry it out, it appears to stem from both top corners of the outside wall where the gutter joins are. The gutter is old iron style with lead coverings.

I've been in the loft and took up the old insulation but didn't find any wet patches. The main damp area is on one side of the bedroom, and appears to be water getting down and in between either the bricks, or between the cladding and bricks then seeping through. I want to replace the cladding but not if water is getting in from the gutter leaking or overflowing as I suspect from the wet patches when looking at the cladding on the outside of the house.

I'm no expert and have not been up to look myself, only in the loft. My brother has had a ladder up but cannot figure it out. When looking at the outside of the house, the area where the gutter join is has a visible wet area around it, as does the downpipe near the other join, but smaller. I'm inclined to think it's a leak rather than overflow as it's not rain heavily recently due to cold weather.

Rather than try and do anything myself - not up to the task - I'm looking for a reputable gutter expert in the Stockport/Heald Green area to take a look and tell me the options.

Is it possible to replace my guttering with UPVC given I'm in the middle of two other houses that are iron?

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
It's certainly possble to change for plastic guttering, the cast iron downpipes can leak thru cracks that are not always obvious especially if they are on the wall side but can spray water at the wall everytime it rains.
Guttering can also be partially blocked where it meets the downpipe but may not be appparent with visual inspection.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back