Possible wall plate issue

Sponsored Links
The original detail for that would probably have been metal square gutter sitting on the wall screwed directly to the timber.

Gutter would have sheltered the timber. He's fitted a modern gutter system which is not the best way, and the timber needs to be tanalised, which it doesn't look like it is.

Looks like a Stonewald type interlocking?

OK I am very confused as to what I should do moving forward...the roofer has responded to my email with the following:

"The timber wallplates are always left exposed on the terrace type of property, usually recessed back slightly from the brickwork beneath. The old, seasoned timber would not normally require treating with a preservative unless there are signs of rot. If you do want to paint the timber, try to use a water-based preservative which will let the timber breathe.

It is not normally necessary to carry out this work, due to the quality of the old timber which has survived for the best part of 100 years without protection."

Does this sound ok? Should I trust what he is saying here or go ahead with getting some quotes for fascias?

I appreciate everyone's input so far - thank you.

Sponsored Links
Re-posting:

OK I am very confused as to what I should do moving forward...the roofer has responded to my email with the following:

"The timber wallplates are always left exposed on the terrace type of property, usually recessed back slightly from the brickwork beneath. The old, seasoned timber would not normally require treating with a preservative unless there are signs of rot. If you do want to paint the timber, try to use a water-based preservative which will let the timber breathe.

It is not normally necessary to carry out this work, due to the quality of the old timber which has survived for the best part of 100 years without protection."

Does this sound ok? Should I trust what he is saying here or go ahead with getting some quotes for fascias?

I appreciate everyone's input so far - thank you.

Nothing wrong with the configuration its the size of the gutter.

As xenon said originally og cast gutter bolted to the plate which would have been resting on the wallhead.

Do as your roofer said.

Thank for the latest pic's it all makes a lot more sense ,I thought it was really lashed up after the first posts but I agree with Xenon ,the old cast gutter would have covered it all up, one way round the weathering problem would be using a thin plastic profile to use as a facia to give better weathering

Thanks to everyone for your advice. I have had three fascia companies round to give their opinion. One said that they would cut some fascia to the same size as the exposed wall plate and attach it to the wall plate then attach the guttering to the piece of fascia. Another company said that under no circumstances should you attach a piece of fascia to the wall plate as it won't have a chance to get rid of moisture if any gets in and could lead to massive rot problems. And another said it would cost over a thousand pounds to reconfigure everything - including fascias, soffits and new guttering.

So I think I should probably just go with applying a water-based preservative to the timber next summer and leave it at that. Any further comments welcome if you have any!

Many thanks

cannot understand the 'only use water based' treatment??.

if the timber get wet brushing/spraying wont work at all as the timber will not be able to soak the fluid up.
using spirit based fluid would as it will naturally soak into the timber a lot better then w/based fluid.
again cannot understand the term 'will not breathe' think it will as the other side is inside your attic :rolleyes:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back