Potential roof problems

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I've viewed and property and liked it, but saw there were issues with the roof from the photos (it was hard to tell on the day I viewed due to the weather). I do like the place, although the roof bothers me a bit. It looks like some tiles are missing (and some were perhaps later replaced with darker ones?). I really know nothing about this stuff. What's an issue to me might be nothing to someone in the know or a big problem.

Does anyone have any advice regarding this? I know I should get a professional to check it, but it's not my house, just one I'm interested in buying, so I wanted to get a rough idea before progressing any further. I hope to check in the loft on the second viewing (this week) to see in there's any damp.

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Typical tile, typical problem - delamination. Earlier machine made tiles suffered badly from poor design.

You will probably find evidence of tile debris in the gutters where the backside of the tiles has shaled off and ended up in the gutter. The roof has been patched to bu99ery.

Only sensible solution is to remove and re-tile. You are likely to bodge lots of holes in the felt in the process so a complete felt, batten and re-tile is prolly the way to go.

That's one tired roof. A surveyor will be able to get you a couple of grand off towards a new roof. Maybe a bit more.

It also looks a bit under pitch for those tiles, but it could just be the camera angle.

Sponsored Links
Thank you all very much for the advice regarding this.

I did buy it (assuming the roof isn't leaking), I'm not sure I would be able to go the sensible route (a new roof) straight away (after two years, I guess). Or would I be setting myself up for disaster?

I'm viewing it again today (well, after I've had a sleep - I'm on night shift). Going to take my camera so I can have a "closer" look (it has a good zoom on it) without going up some ladders.

Thanks again. With no snow and dry conditions, it was easier to get an idea externally (including how bad the roof is, looks like it has gotten worse - there was a tile hanging off the guttering). Also noticed some _big_ cracks in the ceiling that I missed before (in particular at one corner of the house). There were also problems with the brick work. That's not to mention new bathroom, kitchen, redecoration, exposed pipes to deal with (including some that appear to need removing as they're no longer used). So all-in-all - a nice garden, but a money pit of a house.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back