Potential subsidence - do I need Certificate of Lawfullness first?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Purchased a house 2 months ago - had full structural survey which mentioned the utility room on the back of the kitchen was single walled and close to adjacent brook. Noted some movement but in line with usual settling etc.

The utility room was built back in mid 1990's without formal planning permission - but it was mentioned in an Appeal for a further extension which was refused in 2001. So the local planning authority know it exisited and of it back then and I can prove this too.

I am keen to get the utility room formally assessed by structural engineer to determine if it is moving and if so what remediation is required.

Do I need a Certificate of Lawfullness in case the local authority does not grant permission to rebuild it if it is shown to be subsiding as it was orginally built without planning permission ? Or am I thinking about this too hard as its far older that 4 years old and as such lawful...

Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
It was most likely permitted development anyway (if built to the criteria of the day), so no permission would have been required

The time for enforcement has passed.

If you repair, planning permission is not required for anything. If you completely (or substantially) remove and rebuild to the same dimensions and style, then if planning permission would be required you will need to apply - despite any of the two points above.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back