poterton netaheat profile 50e

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
looked at this boiler today, not been working for over a month, customer has had numberous engineers out to look at it.

i've no idea what they did, but it hasn't fixed it, probably made it worse.

240v at SWL but no permanate live at L.

240v into the resetable lock out, but no wire coming off of that onto the PCB. random! checking the manual didn't help because it showed a brown wire going to the PCB. this 1 had a blue wire heading for the neutral.

i but the gas valve plug into the 'test' point and it now had 240v at the blue wire going to the PCB. checked the voltage going to APS, 120v (+ - 10%) also all the other connects, all approx 120v.

very odd i thought.

anyways, i was only there to look over and to investigate 'if' a new PCB had been installed, apparently the previous company had charged for 1, the owner of house had seen the exchange the PCB. it was certainly NOT a new PCB and my thoughts NOT the correct PCB.

long post i know, but any of you more experienced guys care to comment?

thanks, Tim.

Sponsored Links
240v at SWL but no permanate live at L.

Not very likely to work properly, then.
It just needs a competent boiler engineer to check all the connections and fault-find the boiler, which isn't hard on this model.

WHether the replacement board was new, used or refurbished will be hard to tell for sure now.

Check that one of the previous engineers hasn't fitted the perm live to the switch live terminal and vice versa.

odd i know, i'm interested to know the outcome as i was there for 30 mins having a look at it all, checking volts and resistance. but not knowing what these values need to be, its not easy.

the lack of a permate live at L hasn't stopped it from working for years though, again, another variable.

if i were more experienced i'd of offered to go back and get it sorted but alas BG are going on friday to repair it......or so the customer thinks.

as for experince, that only comes with......experience and a keen interest to do the job properly!

Sponsored Links
Check that one of the previous engineers hasn't fitted the perm live to the switch live terminal and vice versa.

ahh, this i checked, there was no other live, this live came from the time clock to 'start' the boiler. there wasn't no permanant anywhere. my guess was it simply sent power to SWL, inturn this kicked the boiling into life.

Have you looked at the manual? The function of the inputs depends on whether the switch is in the Pumped or Gravity position.
What colour is the internal wire than the live goes to?

head the manual, understood the wiring diagram pretty much. traced all the wires to locate where it 'loses' the voltage.

swl goes to brown X 2, one of these goes to the 'test' port. 1 heads of to a junction box (my vocab isn't that good, i'm unable to call a spade a spade when i don't know if its a spade of a shovel) this junction box goes into the 'pumped or gravity' switch, it is set to 'pumped'. brown wire at 240v then goes into the resettable overheat stat, but NO wire attached to the other terminal on the resettable over heat stat'.

in the manual its clearly states brown live out of resettable overheat stat goes to PCB. at this point, i was stumped. and happy to admit it.

there is NO wire from the black 'pump over run' terminal but there is 240v to that terminal

Yet again this is a rather odd situation that Tim for some reason is going out on a public holiday to a boiler that has not been working for a whole month!

Not apparently specifically instructed to carry out a full repair?

Sometimes these boilers are connected by just applying power whenheat is needed. Not correct but its often encountered.

Tony

ffs what is this site about should we be giving info to diy about gas boilers can someone sue for a death or injury on here :rolleyes:

p.s. there is spell check on here

ffs what is this site about should we be giving info to diy about gas boilers can someone sue for a death or injury on here :rolleyes:

p.s. there is spell check on here

erm, i'm a corgi installer!!

i was requested to attend today for a favor because the company over seeing this shambolic repair to the boiler wanted simply to know if a NEW pcb had been fitted or not!

i can't understand some of you guys on here with your utterly awful attitude towards other members of this site. if i were DIY, why would there be a CORGI number in my profile?

it does my head in to think that you guys were obviously ONCE not so amazingly experienced as you are today. knowledge sharing is the key to progess, you guys ask other questions and so on.

Sry didn't know you was £orgi registered not read your profile
I was talking about other users that are not

some of those who are should not be,i have just got home after talking about the trade not having apprentices just a quick course and im now a £orgi man
Engineer after 2 week training

Aprentice = training better than any collage

Sry had a wine :oops: :oops: :LOL:

no worries. :D

apoligies for a rant. i've had a long day.

i know i'm not an expert but no 1 is to begin with, they simply have to learn, i though do not have a guru to work with because i'm moving over from years of install work. it'll take years of experience to get to where some of you guys are but i'm commited to it now and prefer the breakdown side of life to the install side! :D

no worries. :D

apoligies for a rant. i've had a long day.

i know i'm not an expert but no 1 is to begin with, they simply have to learn, i though do not have a guru to work with because i'm moving over from years of install work. it'll take years of experience to get to where some of you guys are but i'm commited to it now and prefer the breakdown side of life to the install side! :D

get registered for the combustion chamber which is restricted to RGI's then you can get more techy type advice that will not put the general public at risk

:)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back