Potterton 10 16 MK2F suddenly stopped working

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I am living in the three bed semi detached house with garage converted as a additional room with ensuite bath. Total number of radiators are 8 now after conversion. We have Potterton 10 16 netaheat MK2F 20 plus years old boiler with separate hot water cylinder, never had any problem with heating or hot water since we moved into this property three years ago.

Since i moved in first powerflush was done about a month ago and after powerflush the heating was improved. Now yesterday the boiler stopped working that means no heating or hot water. I hear "TICKING" noise like boiler trying to ignite the system when i switch on the boiler through its timer switch, please note i have setup heating and hotwater through timer switch only. We have no other appliance which uses GAS other then this boiler, also there is no change in the GAS reading on the meter once i turn on the heating system.

I called in engineer who told me possibly GAS Valve not working or possible some control switch. I was told to replace the boiler due to the fact that boiler is old and spare parts are difficult to find. I am not sure if i should replace the boiler just due to this problem which apparently have no solution. And new boiler is going to cost me good amount of money.

My Queries are:
Can this boiler be fixed, where can i find the parts for this boiler?
How much should it cost me to fix this problem including parts and labour?
If new boiler is required can someone suggest viesmann is any good or Vaillent or bosch?
How much should it cost me for boiler replacement only as rest of the rediators and pipe work is fine?

I am based in Reading area so if someone around is interested then please contact me!

Regards

Sponsored Links
10 16 is a neataheat

this is not a diy job pp boiler poss mercury switch
ex i don't think you can get them now

new boiler viesmann

i'm sure the salesman will be here shortly advising weather comp :rolleyes:

10 16 is a neataheat

new boiler viesmann

i'm sure the salesman will be here shortly advising weather comp :rolleyes:

LOL only been on here 5 mins and i know who your on about already lol...

VIESSMANN are good tho and er,,,, Make sure you get weather comp with it lol

EDIT how far is reading from st helens? I can supply and fit for 2k

If it`s the netaheat I`m thinking of,it could be something as simple as a choked pilot injector.Did the engineer you had round actually do anything,like remove the casing and have a root around?

If it`s not that it will be very hard to get any parts for it and your best option would be a new boiler.

Sponsored Links
I can fix those boilers and have many of the difficult spare parts in stock for my customers.

However, its an old boiler and far less efficient than a modern boiler so the general advice is to replace it.

As you only need a new heat only boiler which costs about £500-£900 and installing it should only be around £740 so £1500 is the approximate budget to go for.

Vessmann have a compact OV boiler which would have a 5 year warrantee if fitted by an approved installer. They are usually highly rated.

There are some extras like TRVs on most rads and a proper modern programmable thermostat wich would also be advisable.

Tony

I can fix those boilers and have many of the difficult spare parts in stock for my customers.

However, its an old boiler and far less efficient than a modern boiler so the general advice is to replace it.

As you only need a new heat only boiler which costs about £500-£900 and installing it should only be around £740 so £1500 is the approximate budget to go for.

Vessmann have a compact OV boiler which would have a 5 year warrantee if fitted by an approved installer. They are usually highly rated.

There are some extras like TRVs on most rads and a proper modern programmable thermostat wich would also be advisable.

Tony

Hi, Many thanks for your response.
I have been considereing for replacement of heating system in a year time along with planned side extension. Which would also require change in some pipe work and bigger sized GAS pipe. If i will put new heat only boiler that also require change in GAS pipe at least, extra work, and all this work will have to be ripped again when extension work will be carried out.

I understand the current boilers efficiency is low but its was doing the job. Just wondering if this problem can be fixed?

Much Appreciated.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back