Potterton 100 Boiler - Low Pressure Light & leaking

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My Potterton has started to loose pressure when the central heating is switched on (hot water appears fine) with the needle dropping into the red and the low pressure light coming on. If I re-pressure the system it starts working again Ok but there is water dripping out of the bottom of the boiler and also the overflow valve on to the patio. The pressure then continues to drop until the boiler cuts out again when the low pressure light comes on after aprox 4 hours usage. Any ideas - is this something simple or big and expensive ? Boiler is 10 years old - bit worried about the dripping water causing some electrical fault.

Sponsored Links
It goes to 1.5 when I have re-set and re-pressured it and then steadily drops until it ends up in the red zone

so the pressure never gets any higher than 1.5bar when the system is on and hot?

Sponsored Links
Sorry, not very technical as you can tell - it stays on or around the red needle when I set the black one to match on the pressure gague. That's if it operates normally - now on the central heating setting it almost immediatley starts to loose pressure and the needle heads towards the red within a few hours and the boiler starts to drip as soon as the central heating is put on but not when the hot water is run.

Sorry, not very technical as you can tell - it stays on or around the red needle when I set the black one to match on the pressure gague. That's if it operates normally - now on the central heating setting it almost immediatley starts to loose pressure and the needle heads towards the red within a few hours and the boiler starts to drip as soon as the central heating is put on but not when the hot water is run.

what does that mean?

what is the maximum pressure the gauge goes to when the system is on and hot?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back