Potterton EP2000 has failed after a power cut

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
After a power cut I found that my Potterton EP2000 is not working. There is no time display and moving the sliders has no effect.

The heating and water remain ON (which surprised me as I thought they would be off)

The Potterton is over 25 years old.

Before I call an electrician do you think that it needs replacing or is it a simple case of it 'blowing a fuse' (if that is possible)

Thanks
Mike

Sponsored Links
Needs replacing. Not with another EP though there have been a lot of quality issues with the new ones.

Thanks Mike for your advice.

Is there a replacement model you would recommend given that I would not need any more advanced features than the current device provides

Also one more point.

Until this is replaced if I turn the boiler OFF I assume the faulty timeswitch won't prevent it restarting when I turn it on again ?

Sponsored Links
Honeywell controls are generally reckoned to be amongst the best although they had a reliability issue with their programmers a few years ago.

Most timeclocks have standby batteries which are not expected to last much longer than five years!

That does not mean they will not work but just dont retain the clock times.

Its very common for such old units to fail after a power outage.

It would be very easy to remove it and rewire to keep the boiler working.

I would always recommend a heating engineer to do the replacement rather than an electrician as few seem very knowledgeable with heating systems.

Tony

It's worn out, best to replace it.
Get a new one, could even upgrade to 2002 then have 7 day control.
No wiring to do just unclip from the backplate and snap on the new one.
Will only take a couple of minutes. Around £30 and no labor payout.
These are very reliable these days.

It's worn out, best to replace it.
Get a new one, could even upgrade to 2002 then have 7 day control.
No wiring to do just unclip from the backplate and snap on the new one.
Will only take a couple of minutes. Around £30 and no labor payout.
These are very reliable these days.
My plumber had an old (but unused) EP2002 and he's fixed it.

All is fine.

Thanks everyone for your assistance.

An interesting sequel to all this:

The replacement appeared to work in that moving the sliders up and down made a noise but that was probably the boiler firing up - but not the pump.

Consequently the radiators did not come on.

While trying to work out where all the connections led to the plumber happened to put the old device back to check something out.

Guess what ?

It started working again

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back