potterton flamingo 40 pilot light

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone.

I have a problem with my potterton flamingo 40 boiler.
2 tanks in loft, cylinder upstairs next to pump and control valve, boiler mounted downstairs.
Every morning the boiler pilot light is out. I manage to relight it eventually. Difficult at first when boiler is cold as it keeps switching off after a few mins. Eventually after maybe 6 restarts over course of 2 hours it stays on for longer and longer between restarts and will last for entire day until whole procedure is repeated the next day.
Bleed all radiators each morning, no air. there is a little air in the pump each morning which i bleed but my question is this;
As it seems to be easier to keep the pilot lit as the boiler itself gets warmer, would this point to a thermostat problem, or thermocouple problem?
I read somewhere in this forum that it could be an overheat stat too but after looking at the manual i can't find where this would be. is it inside the thermostat assembly itself?

Thanks in advance.

Graham.

Sponsored Links
Your boiler is quite old.

They are very reliable but do need regular proper servicing.

You need a registered gas engineer who will do a proper service ( many dont ). In this case one of the older ex-british gas people will be very familiar with this model. They are simple enough but the short course recent entrants will not have much experience of them.

Tony

Hi Graham,

Just read your original posting... have been trying to find a copy of this boiler manual on and off since I bought the house (10yrs!!). Is there any way you could scan a copy of it (or digital pictures sent in a PDF file?). I can't think where else to look and you are the first person on line that has mentioned having a copy.
I know this is a big ask but would appreciate any help you could give me.

Am looking to add a new radiator soon (and replace a few old ones) and was trying to get as much info on my boiler's capacity as I can. It's not long for this world I think, but will try to coax a few more years out of it!

Thanks in advance for any assistance... :confused:

Gratefully... James :D

Sponsored Links
Kev,

Wow! Fast reply... Have updated email on profile...

Boiler is an RS40.

Thank you so much!

J :D

Hi Graham,

Am looking to add a new radiator soon (and replace a few old ones) and was trying to get as much info on my boiler's capacity as I can. It's not long for this world I think, but will try to coax a few more years out of it!

Gratefully... James :D

The "40" in the model number is the number of thousand BTUs.

So a 40,000 is about 12 kW power. Thats about theheat loss of an average three bed semi.

Its getting rather old and about time for a replacement with a condensing boiler.

Tony

• Thanks
Reactions: JWP

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back