Potterton Performa 24 - Poor H/W delivery

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am an installer, who has been asked to repair a friends boiler.
Initially, primary flow pin on diverter wasn't lifting & APS wasn't making, so changed diaphragm & APS, followed by complete diverter valve, only to discover that despite the pump rotor spinning (and heat being dissipated), the pin started to lift only when I changed the pump head.
Next day I get a call that boiler only fires up intermittently. Turns out PCB is faulty and fan was sometimes only coming on intermittently.
Then I discover that H/W performance is poor. Gas rate indicated about 16.5 KW on H/W. Burner pressure goes up to 11Mb then rapidly drops to 2Mb and then cycles between 2- 6Mb.
Resistance on top 2 pins of gas valve show 1.59 & botton 2 pins 2.89 - so assume that is OK.
Changed primary thermistor to no avail, but if I run hot water with thermistor out of pocket, it delivers full gas rate & plenty H/W so can I assume that gas valve is definitely OK ??
I have assumed that primary side is overheating, so have descaled plate exchanger (without any improvement !) & now added X400, which has been in for about a week - but its still the same apparently.
Can anyone give me some useful suggestions, and am I right about assuming a blockage somewhere ??
Sorry for long winded post but too much info is better than not enough !

Sponsored Links
Bump !!
Apologies if this is not the right place to post this question.
PS. I am gas safe Reg, - just more into plumbing & heating installation than boiler servicing !
Any help gratefully received.
Paul

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back