potterton performa 28 pressure increasing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all,

The pressure gauge on the above keeps creeping up - I just checked, and it was nearing 2.5 bar (at which point, the book says call an engineer). I then had a shower and checked again - it was down to 2 bar.

I would have thought that the pressure would only reduce with time, given that no new water is being introduced into the system, and that there must inevitably be some leak (however tiny) somewhere.

What are the possible causes? And the possible consequences?

We haven't had any work done in yonks, and live in a hard water area. We leave the heating on low but constant, and have about four showers a day.

I don't think that the filling loop tap is letting any water through.

On a related thing, is there an optimum pressure that a system should run at (for economy, for the sake of argument)?

Sponsored Links
The pressure will increase as the system gets warmer and drop slightly as it cools...

An average of 1.5 bar should be ok when the system's cold, slightly more when it's warm.

Besides temperature, the only thing that could increase the pressure would be if the filling loop was passing slowly ;)

Edit: You could always just remove the flexible connector on the filling loop and put a compression cap on each valve :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back