Potterton Performa 28 problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I've got a Potterton Performa 28 combi boiler. We moved into the house about a month ago after several months doing it up. I'm not really confident enough to attempt a boiler repair myself but would like a better understanding of what the problem might be before I call someone out. It seems to be losing pressure (half a bar or more over 2 weeks). I've checked the radiator spindles and all appear dry (my Dad and I replaced all the upstairs rad valves a few months ago.) About 4 weeks ago the low pressure warning neon came on and the boiler made a horrible grinding noise (the pump?) after refilling via the loop all appeared okay. It has then started to lose pressure causing me to keep topping up via the loop. This morning the boiler stopped working (pressure was between a half and one bar) and the flue/fan neon was flashing. I reset it and it appeared okay - central heating and hot water.
I've checked outside and can't see any water coming from the pipe so I wouldn't suspect the pressure release valve.

Reading through all the posts a likely suspect may be the automatic air vent, but I've also found what someone delightfully called 'snot' on some of the pipes on the boiler suggesting a small leak there. Indeed when filling via the loop a small dribble of water has appeared from underneath the boiler which soon stopped.

Sorry for the long post but I thought it better to give as much detail as possible. Does anyone have any experience of this boiler and what is the most likely cause of the problem?

Regards

Matthew

Sponsored Links
I have lots of experience of that boiler!

However it does not make me able to tell where yours is leaking from.

In any case it seems you already know as you can see water leaking.

Tony

Apologies in advance for silly questions!!

If I noticed a leak after topping up via the filling loop would that indicate which area the leak was likely to be from i.e. pressure release valve etc.?
Would the lack of evidence of a leak even though the pressure is dropping be normal - possibly burning off on the heat exchanger?
Would a water leak in this area of the boiler be easy to fix for a competent person?

Regards

Matthew

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back