Potterton Prima f60 needs reset every 2 or so weeks

Something doesn't seem right.

The boiler operates between 55-82 degrees so measuring 59 with the stat half way is wrong.

Also if the flow temp is only 59 even with NO FLOW would the heat build up to 90+ and trip the OH stat.

If the system works and boiler doesn't cycle at all when heating rads then I doubt you have a circulation fault.

When I work on any of these boilers the stat gets left between 2-3 with a flow temp of around 70.

Check the pump overrun is working the I think you should get someone in before wasting more of your time and money on **** like boiler buddys!!

Sponsored Links
The boiler buddy has picked up a lot of crud. I have "washed it out" 4 times since putting it in (only cost me £20 plus the valves), and took less than an hour to fit. So not too much time wasted and not much money. The vent in picture 1 (22mm pipe) gets v hot, does this not point to a circulation issue (I have been in the room when it happens once and I get a lot of knocking and banging and gurgling just before the trip)?

To test if pump overun is working do I need to have the boiler working then turn the thermostat down so not calling for heat and then the pump should continue and should this be on both CH & DHW?

Is there no significance to the magnet taking a liking to my pipework. I can understand what you say if the thermostat is set to achieve even 70 c then how comes it trips but I would guess that the over heat trip is more sensitive and located inside the H/E where as the thermocouple for the thermostat is on the pipework.

The boiler buddy has picked up a lot of crud. I have "washed it out" 4 times since putting it in (only cost me £20 plus the valves), and took less than an hour to fit.

Fair enough. Not so much fun when they're a few years old. So full of **** you cant even get the magnet out and all the black ****ty water has gone down the customers wall as theres no way to catch it! :mad:

To test if pump overun is working do I need to have the boiler working then turn the thermostat down so not calling for heat and then the pump should continue and should this be on both CH & DHW?

Best way is to turn off the timer/room stat. So motor valves close aswell. Presumabley theres a suitable by-pass, Not all TRVs on all rads etc.

Is there no significance to the magnet taking a liking to my pipework. I can understand what you say if the thermostat is set to achieve even 70 c then how comes it trips but I would guess that the over heat trip is more sensitive and located inside the H/E where as the thermocouple for the thermostat is on the pipework.

Why not cut it out and have a look? If it were that significant the system wouldn't really work.

You're right about the OH stat being located in the HE but you never mentioned the banging!

Yep agree with the design of the buddy but for £20 i'll keep my eye on it thanks to your advice and make sure it doesn't get too packed out. Magnaclean seems a much better design. Yes 1 radiator in the hall (where room stat is)does not have a TRV.

Unfortunately only heard the banging once and other times when I have been in the house and it has tripped I havent heard the banging but not sure if I was downstairs if I would hear it anyway.

Should the expansion pipe be getting hot within a short time of the boiler firing if flow is ok(ish)? I would imagine if the pipe is restricted due to iron oxide then it will take the easiest path which I guess is expansion pipe to the loft (hence it getting hot), and when the pump is running it is overcomming the restriction to some extent. On listening to it there does sound a bit of a kettling sound to it.

cheers

Sponsored Links
Spent some time on this this afternoon. Cut out pipework (a couple of weeks back)and it was restricted down to around the half the diameter. Situation improved but still got the occasional trip. Investigated further and the overrun did not appear to be working. Boiler was working fine this morning and I heard the room stat click off followed by a boiler overheat trip. I then reset the boiler and let it heat up on cylinder only and turned the cylinder stat down and this produced a trip. This caused me to suspect the overrun stat which I tested using a heatgun and this closed and opened fine. I have now put the probe back on the pipe with new compound and is now responding and keeping the pump running. Early days yet to say it is cured but seems a step in the right direction.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back