potterton prima

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I have a potterton prima f 50 boiler and a headache.
i've had problems with my heating and water ie: they stopped working, and so far i've changed the three way valve, pump and done a chemical flush twice in case of sludge.( water that came out seemed pretty clear.)
all to no avail. also i had a steady trickle coming out of the overflow from the big tank in the loft so i've changed the ballcock and arm and that seems to have resolved that, but whilst in there i found that the pipe that goes through the lid of the tank (i think this is a breather from the boiler)was below the water level. now when i drain the system and refill the boiler comes on for a short while but then reverts to just the pilot light and won't re-ignite i think it could bea problem with the loop in the loft.

Any help appreciated...cheers.

Sponsored Links
If the F&E was over flowing for very long then it will have caused serious sludge problems and you may have a blockage.

You dont say but I assume your boiler heats itself up and goes off on its stat.

It sounds as if the pump is not pumping, airlock, valves, blockage etc.

Tony

I don't think it is sludge as I've done a chemical flush twice and no sludge has came out when I drained the system down (several times).

The pilot light comes on the boiler and goes off regularly but I don't know how it should work...

I have replaced the 3 way valve and pump. ;)

Well obviously you have your ideas and I have mine!

Mine are often right though!

Professionals often see systems with nice clear water and a complete blockage particularly int he feed pipe.

Why dont you check what I have listed starting at the pump?

How do you know the pump valves are open for example.

Tony

Sponsored Links
ya still havnt said if the thermostat is cuting the boiler out? how hot do the pipes get around the boiler? if the system is ok and the pump and valves are workin as they should check that the boiler has the pilot ignited and has stopped sparking.

Thanks, i'm not discounting your thoughts cos you definitely will know more than me it's just i've had 2 plumbers round for advise one said i needed a power flush £700-£800 pounds the other said probably the pcb board or gas valve in the boiler £ scary. I don't mind paying a plumber to do something i cant it's just there seems to be conflicting views and it could cost a fortune to find out who's right. I think the therm is cutting the boiler out cos it seems the pilot goes out from time to time, the pipes around the boiler are cold and when the pilot lights i don't think it carries on sparking or at least i can't see it sparking

if ya go with bg a basic powerflush is £568, if ya suspect there is a fault with the boiler they will do a repair for £156 parts and labour! but the pcb on them arnt that exspensive and ya may only need the solenoid on the gas valve if thats at fault.

personally i think if the pipes around the boiler arnt gettin that hot i would suspect a fault with the boiler and not the system

Thanks, that confirms my suspicion that the fault is in the boiler. Is the gas valve something i would be allowed to attempt or is it a corgi job?

ya need sum1 corgi registerd to work on the boiler becuse it could affect combustion. also if it is the gas valve it will need setting up and checking that its burning correctly and that its safe.

still think its pcb as ive changed a few on them and ive got1 on me van! let me no how ya get on pal

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back