Potterton Profile no pilot light

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

First post, but I promise I've browsed the FAQ and other threads.

First of all, there is some heating as it's not stone cold, but water and radiators are not 'hot' anymore.

The boiler is making a steady noise like it's working, but I can't see the pilot light.

I've used the manual as per the linked site http://www.partsarena.com/baxi/:

TO LIGHT

1. Ensure that the boiler thermostat knob is at ‘0’ (fully anticlockwise).
2. Switch ‘ON’ the main electricity supply.
3. Ensure the electronic programmer or other time control, if fitted, is in an ‘ON’ period (refer to time control literature).
4. Ensure that any room and/or cylinder thermostats are at a high temperature setting.

Proceed as follows:- Turn the boiler thermostat on and to the required setting. After a short period, the boiler will light: the main burner can be seen through the sight glass on the front of the boiler. Set the time control and any thermostats, where fitted, to their desired settings.

But looking through the sight glass there still no blue flame.

Any suggestions?

Is it time to get a man in to fix it?

Ta.

Sponsored Links
Am I shortly going to die in a huge fireball?

Only if you try to DIY gas! Seriously though, these things are designed to be safe. If the pilot isnt alight then the boiler will not supply gas to the burner in an attempt to light. A Gassafe engineer should easily be able to repair the fault, and as Kevplumb said, a service will not go amiss at same time. This will help prolong the life of your boiler, it will likely work more efficiently and be safety checked at the same time.

Sponsored Links
Well, I got the pilot light lit again so we've had heating all weekend until today when the plumber came to visit.

Since he left it's been stone cold.

We asked what the call out charge was, they said nothing.

They charged my wife £86 for the callout.

They quoted over £600 to fix a valve and a fan.

Your advice would be gratefully received, preferably before I find out where he lives and torch his house, because then I'll be in the clink over Christmas.

Ta.

Call Potterton Heateam for a fixed price guaranteed repair/service

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back