Potterton Promax HE 15 not working..

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

We have a Potterton Promax HE15 (around 5 years old) which is giving problems:

1. It has a recurring fault of not continuing to burn after igniting - it trys 3 or 4 times, and then stops.

2. When it does work, it heats up both the hot water and the central heating (even if the central heating is switched off). Next to the tank, is a unit with two lights on it for the hot water and central heating. Both of these illuminate when the boiler comes on.

3. In addition, to to above, we also have to have the thermostat on the tank turned up to 70, if we don't, the boiler won't come on. The thermostat is situated just below halfway down the tank.

We have had British Gas around twice, and they have replaced the main pc board, but the issue is still recurring.

Any help/advice would be appreciated.

Tom

Sponsored Links
sounds like you've got more than 1 problem;

does boiler ignite, then go out or does it try to ignite a few times before locking out (lock-out light on).

do the lights both come on when you turn just the hot water, or just the heating on.

If BG have been out recently get them back, if you're on a contract with them they should repair it, not give up after a couple of half-hearted attempts.

Hi Mick

The boiler ignites briefly for around 3 seconds -this is repeated around 5 times before it locks out.

On the other issue:

Both lights come on just with the hot water on. I never have to switch the central heating switch on. Over and above this issue, with the thermostat set so high, when the boiler is working, it is almost continually on.

If I switch the central heating on, the temperature control thermostats mounted in my lounge is useless, as the system just keeps going even if I turn it to 0C.

The 3 BG guys I've had out don't believe they are separate issues. I have mentioned that there is a good chance the system is wired incorrectly....

Tom

sounds like you've got more than 1 problem;

does boiler ignite, then go out or does it try to ignite a few times before locking out (lock-out light on).

do the lights both come on when you turn just the hot water, or just the heating on.

If BG have been out recently get them back, if you're on a contract with them they should repair it, not give up after a couple of half-hearted attempts.

are you on a BG contract or was it on a fixed price repair.

the going out could be water on the condensate trap wires.

Sponsored Links
Sounds like you have a Myson/Potterton power extra 3 port valve in the airing cupboard.

I would want to check this out first from the problems you describe, or possibly replace the actuator head, to eliminate this. (if it was still the same I wouldn't charge for the head as I carry them anyway ;))

Then if the other faults persist investigate them in turn.

One problem solved!

Had the BG man over on Friday, because the system wouldn't work at all. He put it down to the electronics, and placed an order for the two units. Returned on Saturday, replaced the pc boards, and nothing worked. So he proceeded to strip and clean the system, and still nothing worked.

Luckily he decided to disconnect the sensor on the condensate trap, and everything started working again. This was replaced yesterday, and all seems to be ok, except for the fact that the CE comes on when the hotwater is heating up. But I'm happy to live with this for now.

Tom

sounds like you had moisture on top of the condensate trap. So going with the BG fault finding logic, replace several pcbs first :LOL:
where is your condense pipe teed into?

sounds like you had moisture on top of the condensate trap. So going with the BG fault finding logic, replace several pcbs first :LOL:
where is your condense pipe teed into?

I was also wondering about that... The drain pipe goes into the wall, and I don't have a clue where it drains.

Cheers

Tom

Hi all,
Just logged on to say thanks really....
It's Christmas Eve, it's 11pm and my boiler died.
Did exactly what was described in the original post - lit, ran for a bit, died, tried twice more then quit completely.
Quick Google sent me here, I dried off the top of the condensate trap and its wires, replaced the front cover plate, turned it all on again, house now toasty warm.
Happy Christmas and thanks. :)

Can you help?

Central Heating boiler 5 years old. Cut out this afternoon. Pilot light kept firing but would not keep going. Turned switches off tried again, same thing happened. Read the manual and it said 3 safety devices cut the system off
1) System overheats
2) Condensate drain is blocked
3) No gas to the boiler.

So opened it up, both sides of the condensate drain were full. So I took it out drained both sides, unblocked both sides, flushed through with clear water, put everything back. Sensors in the correct position, all dry. Cover back on

Started her up and it all worked. Then about 4-5 minutes later it cut off and would not fire at all. Took the cover off and the fan was very hot. Changed the 3A plug fuse amp. Still would not fire.

After the fan cooled enough (about 10-15 minutes) I undid the sensors, wiped them and surrounding area, made sure the sensors were securely fastened and the wiring to the fan was secure.

Started it again, and it fired up and stayed on. I watched the condensate drain - the right hand side was filling up very slowly with warm water. Radiators started to get warm. Once the right hand side got to the tip of the right unit, the boiler cut off and pilot light went out. The fan was not warm. The boiler started to automatically ignite 3 times then cut out completely. I reset it and tried again and it went back to the original fault lighting then cutting out, lighting cutting out. The right hand side of the condensate unit is still filled with water.

I've turned the boiler off am off to bed!

Any ideas of the problem?

(I have now also noticed a slight dripping noise coming from the a pipe in the ceiling and there is also a water stain, so looks like, a heating pipe is leaking, so will have to also track it to the source of the leak and repair it).

Any help will be greatly appreciated. The boiler hasn't been serviced, which I know should have been done on a regular basis, so will have to have an engineer in to do this.

Thanks

:)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back