Potterton Promax HE Store -should I keep it on all the time?

Discussion in 'Plumbing and Central Heating' started by superye, 29 Sep 2012.

1. superye

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Hi all,

My house has Potterton Promax HE Store - I normally let it heat up hot water only and then turn it off, unless I need central heating. The problem (may be not a problem) is every time when I need hot water I will have let the tap run a while and then hot water comes out, if I turn the tap off for just one or 2 seconds, I will have to wait a while before hot water comes out. I am wondering if that's normal. i think it's wasting of water because my house have a water meter. Can you please share your experience if you are having Potterton Promax HE Store as well? Thanks

2. Armo74

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    The length of pipe runs, insulation, and other factors can dictate the time taken for hot water to reach your taps.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. superye

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Thanks for your reply Armo. I understand I need to wait for the hot water to reach the taps from the floor standing boiler (thru the pipe work), but my experience is no matter for how soon i switch off the tap, it seems I need to wait for freash hot water to reach to the taps again. My understanding is that hot water is already in the pipe work (provided I only switch off the taps for 2 seconds), I shouldn't be waiting for that long like the 1st time.

Thanks

4. superye

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Anyone has the experience or knowledge please? Thanks

5. Armo74

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Does this happen on all of your taps? Has it always happened?

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  6. superye

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Sorry for a long long dealy, yes, it's the case for all taps. thanks

7. Joe4542

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    As you say, once you've flushed the cold water out of the pipe, the hot water in there would stay warm for minutes, if it's cold straight away, then you have a problem.

It's not going to be anything with the boiler, possibly you've got a thermostatic mixer (shower or bath) that's letting by cold onto the hot side? Cold having easier path than hot and so back-feeding up pipes.

If you have service valves feeding said thermostat mixer, turning them off would confirm/disprove theory.