Potterton Puma 100e

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All
I have the above combi old and rubbish i know
Problem
HW OK
CH not working, I changed the wax capsule in the diverter a couple of years ago and that sorted my last problem, and this seemed similar until i started to look into it.
The air vent at the top whilst not tightened down had seized and blocked the vent (now released).
Now what is happening is the CH is starting with flame for about 20 seconds the pressure on the gauge rises gets to about 2 bar steam bubbles up out the air vent with a few clunks for good measure, then lockout only when the pressure drops does it fire up again after pressing reset.
I have cheched the flame hieght setting just above minimum, and as for the pump I have unscrewed the black nut and rotated it (last time i did that i could feel the pump running) it sounded like winding a watch with no other movements.
my thoughts are diverter or pump and the pressure is rising because one or both are not working as they should.
Now is the pump a standard fit and I believe the 61 has been upgraded is there any other one that will do the job and can the diverter internals be removed for cleaning without complete removal of the diverter.
Cheers Dave

Sponsored Links
Are you saying that when you undo the pump centre nut you can't feel the pump running?
If that's the case then that's your problem.
You can get just a replacement head for your pump.

Thanks for your reply
Yes that is correct I loosen the centre nut pull it out and can rotate but cannot feel it running,
I take it the head is the impeller and not the electrics

Around the head is four bolts which need an Allen key to undo then the head comes off which is the motor and impeller leaving just the back connected to the pipe work much easier than removing whole pump,
Of course you have to isolate water and electrics tho.

Sponsored Links
Dave what do you consider to be a good boiler?

Hi DP
A camping stove and a billy can would be a better boiler
And thank you Cowley pump replaced nice toasty house and a happy wife

pump was a common fault on these due to poor quality. fitted loads in the day and about 5% had to have a new pump within a week from new.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back