potterton suprima 50

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have just purchased a bungalow and the boiler has been switched on gas and electric since january 2007 although it has never been used.

It will not ignite the red light comes on initially then the green light after about 5 seconds.

Basic fault finding advice would be appreciated I am a competent electrician before I call out a plumber.

Also would it be worth just swopping out the pcb for the latest 511603 model to eliminate the fact the pcb may have been damaged.

any assistance much appreciated including name of reasonable corgi plumber

Sponsored Links
What revision PCB is in it?

Does the green light goto "static on" or "flashing on"?

Is there power on the switch live?

Is there power to the pump?

Is the pump running?

Is there power to the fan? And does that run?

Thanks everyone for help.

The pump is running.

The pcb is number 5102160.

When I switch the boiler on the red and green lights come on.

After about 5 seconds the green light goes out the red light stays on constant.

The fan I do not think is coming on. ( as far as I am aware I have checked this by simply listening)I have checked the air pressure switch and it appears to work, however the flow switch in series with the air pressure switch may be faulty it is open circuit. I was planning to replace this for the avoidance of doubt to eliminate this.

If the flow switch is not faulty stating the obvious what does this suggest.

Look forward to receiving further advice .

Sponsored Links
I dont remember a flow switch on Suprimas.

Which models was it fitted on ?

Tony

Agile said:
I dont remember a flow switch on Suprimas.

Which models was it fitted on ?

Tony

They are fitted on all the ones with a twin pipe flue, and if I remember correctly later advised to bypass them as they are a p.i.t.a

When you "disconnect" the flow switch I presume you have shorted it out?

Have you done a resistance check on the APS? What electrical measurements have you made to the APS to confirm that its being operated by the fan pressure?

Is it sparking at the ignition stage? I.e. can you see a spark?

Tony

I took it baxpoti meant the flow switch that has to be fitted when plastic pipe is used on the heating system.

alexelland said:
tried disconnecting flow switch as suggested still fan not operating.

any further thoughts

Obviously with flow switch disconnected the air pressure switch needs to be connected.

Are you now getting 230v to fan?

No power to fan

flow switch by passed ( which was in series with air pressure switch by simply removing link and wiring aps connector lead direct

air pressure switch tested by multi meter applying vacuum to clear pipe to test it was switching on and off i would have preferred to test this with the fan running however as fan is not running as it is not getting power not sure how I can test this any other way.

the ignitor element is not sparking either it is however getting 240 volts.

further comments much appreciated

What do you mean by ignitor element? The spark electrode? If so this would be around 20,000 volts to create a spark :confused:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back