Potterton Suprima 80L - problem? (not lock-out)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have a Suprima 80L boiler running an open vented heating system and indirect hot water tank.

I'm not convinced that the boiler is working correctly though, seeing all the Suprima PCB stories on here - but I don't have the lock-out problem (yet?)

The boiler gets to temperature (red LED on, green LED flashing) but when the red LED goes out and the green LED keeps flashing, indicating a call for heat, the boiler does nothing for about 3 minutes. After the 3 mins it fires, heats, and waits again. This sequence repeats with more time spent waiting than heating.

The flow pipes get hot then cool, then hot, then cool etc as this goes on so the rads never really get hot.

Is this behavior a fault with the boiler (or something else), or is it normal? Surely the bolier should fire as soon as the call for heat is there.

Cheers

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
It should be about 100kohms at room temp

I forget what it should be at operasting temp, I can look tomorrow

It's not a common pcb problem, so it's most likely the thermistor or a blockage / pump problem - heat not being removed from the heat exchanger quickly enough

the thermistor appears to be functioning and there appears to be good circulation.

One thing I have observed whilst measuring the thermistor resistance:

if I power cycle the boiler when it's either in the "at temperature" (red on, green flashing) state or "call for heat" (red off, green flashing) state, the boiler fires straight away.

if I leave the boiler powered, it waits a few mins before firing.

to me this seems like more of a controler fault than a sensor fault - but I'm no expert! :)

thanks raden - does this observation point to anything?

if I power cycle the boiler when it's either in the "at temperature" (red on, green flashing) state or "call for heat" (red off, green flashing) state, the boiler fires straight away.

there is a built in delay to stop boiler firing immediately when a call for heat, on the suprima pcb.

Anti cycling measure apparently.

My advise would be be to save up for a decent boiler and drop your potty from a great height. They work fantastic as long as no gas or water are passing through them.

David

carrotman said:
thanks raden - does this observation point to anything?

yes, I went through that procesure today just to make sure

On start up the boiler runs straight through it's sequence without appreciable delay. Once it has reached temperature and switches off, there is a delay of several minutes before it goes thjrough the sequence again

Hi Carrotman

did you manage to sort this one out I have an identical problem.

Brendan

suprimas have a terrible anti cycle on them......you can wait lonegr than 3 mins sometimes. switch it off and on again at the mains if you think its in anti cycle

after some investigation there was a problem with the hot water pipe configuration. This fixed the problem with the hot water and appeared to fix the heating issue before the summer, but now it seems to be back - not all the rads getting hot despite attempts to balance. Think it's a combination of the suprima's "feature" and possibly sludge in the system, so will be considering another powerflush - or moving!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back