Potterton Suprima help please...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there, If anyone can help me or at least give me some pointers it would be great, as I am seriously stuck.

I do have a technical back ground but my knowledge of central heating is very limited, prior to making a choice on attempting a repair or looking at going down the combi route as a replacement.

My issue is the Potterton suprima I have in my kitchen appears to have limited control, here is the sequence of issues:

• Controller/Timer upstairs set to heating on and hot water on
  • To light, turn temperature control knob to off.
  • Fan runs up, ignition, quickly turn knob to desired temperature.
  • Boiler will then run for 15-20 mins from cold and then cut out.
  • After that boiler states that it has reached temperature and makes an intermittent clicking (relay) noise.
  • Attempts to relight and runs pump, cuts out again.
  • Repeat first step in order to light again and sequence is repeated(runs for 15-20 mins).

It would be my understanding that the temperature control should be set and then all heating and water functions are controlled by the controller up in the bedroom next to the cylinder, this isn't the case though. The time that it runs is not sufficient enough to heat the house or provide hot water, therefore I'm having to continually re-light manually.

If I'm doing something blatantly obvious please do help and let me know.
That aside if its not a quick fix or reoccurring fault then I am looking down the combi route at possibly a Worcester bosch.

Any help or pointers would be great, thank you.

Sponsored Links
It's clearly faulty. The flow temperature control should be set once and then left alone. You should not need to do anything to it, day to day.

These boilers are notoriously unreliable; in particular the PCBs are very flaky indeed.

But, you're going to need to get a gas safe engineer to come and fix it, there are no DIY solutions I'm afraid.

check bottom and top of your rads if they are very cold at bottom, and warm at top, it might be sludge build up.

Thanks for the reply, Would this be liked to the flow switch I guess?

Sponsored Links
No just means your rads a full of sludge, and nothing to do with the flow switch, or temperature stat, it just means they doing there job, but the radiators aren't

Thanks, I totally understand the gas safe aspect as my background is large scale industrial gas.
Really just after an idea of common faults. Long term I'm gonna replace with a combi if this is the best route?

The fact you have to turn it off and then on to get it working points to pcb.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back