Potterton Tatler gas boiler gone a bit weird...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
we noticed the other evening that when there should be hot water, there wasn't...

i selected the heating advance manually this evening and the boiler made a fairly lengthy dull ticking noise before firing into life (the pilot light is on)... it then ran for a while before switching itself off... it made plenty of hot water, but the boiler casing itself got quite warm (and smelt warm if that makes sense?)... the heating advance light was still on, so i switched if off... the dull ticking noise began again for a couple of minutes before going off...

we're new to the house so don't really know what to expect with the boiler (it is a very old floor standing gas boiler)... it was fully serviced in May of this year and has worked faultlessly since.... the only thing that has changed this week is that our utility room is being retiled so there is lots of dust about and the builders might have knocked the boiler slightly whilst removing the tiles from around it.

anyone have any ideas?

cheers

Sponsored Links
I must admit that I have never worked on a Potterton Tatler boiler!

DIA has been in heating since the stone age and may know about them!

Tony

Ticking is possibly expansion & contraction as boiler warms up and cools down.

If boiler fires then I would be looking at pump, water content etc as sounds like poor circulation

Sponsored Links
the ticking wasn't off the expansion/contraction type... it almost sounded like a very well insulated sparking sound...

the odd thing is that the boiler did make hot water for me... but then shut itself down about 5-10 minutes later...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back