power shower wiring

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
The wiring from my power (i.e. pumped, not heated) shower consists of 0.5mm flex from the shower to a ceiling mounted pull-switch. It then goes to a 3amp. fused plug in an RCD equipped socket outside the bathroom. Can anyone confirm if this is an acceptable arrangement? Also, the cable leaving the top of the shower casing is carried the short distance to the ceiling and into the loft through oval plastic ducting fixed on the surface of the tiled wall. Is this OK? Thanks in anticipation.

Sponsored Links
Are you saying that you have a wall mounted power shower and that the cable comes out of the top of it, in the shower enclosure? If so, it sounds like a 'lash-up' to me. Also, 0.5mm cable is not acceptable. The only thing that sounds right about this is the 3 amp fuse. :eek:

Pumps are usually on the floor, or at any rate no higher than the hot water cylinder, as they are much better at pushing water than pulling it....

i'm not sure what the height of the hot water cylinder would have to do with it its the hight of the cold water tank that provides the head that would matter.

Sponsored Links
I've managed to track down the instruction leaflet, for what it's worth, and it does seem to show the cable entry point at the top of the baseplate, via an indirect "baffle" arrangement. It does not actually pass through the top of the casing. The plastic ducting is sealed at the top end and at the rear of the casing. No indication of the pump power is given. So what would be a satisfactory cable size and routeing, given that the wall is tiled, with another room on the other side?

Cheers

Neil

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back