power supply to garden shed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi
I am having some power put to my garden shed which is at the bottom of the garden, we are using armoured cable, but we are not certain what the regulations are for running the cable, do they have to be buried or can you fix them onto a wall? we know that the job has to be part 'p' certified so we are getting the building regulators to do this when we have finished.
Could anyone please help so that i can get the job done?
Thankyou

Sponsored Links
You can clip swa to the wall or bury it.
If you bury it you must use marker tape 100mm below the surface then have the swa 350mm (min) below the marker tape.

Re "we are getting the building regulators to do this when we have finished" - you do know that you have to notify them before you start?

Thankyou for replying so quickly and you have been very helpful and didn't know we had to let them know before hand, i thought we could get a retrospective application.

Sponsored Links
You can clip swa to the wall or bury it.
If you bury it you must use marker tape 100mm below the surface then have the swa 350mm (min) below the marker tape.
Thanks for replying so quickly. Does the cable have to be a certain height up the wall and does it have to be covered?

It should be high enough up for it to be visible, and not get inadvertently chewed up by lawnmowers, strimmers etc, but it doesn't need protection - that's the point of armoured cable.

I am having some power put to my garden shed which is at the bottom of the garden,
Have you done the calculations for volt-drop and loop impedance?

What choice have you made for RCD protection?

How and where will you terminate the SWA, and have you used SWA glands before?

Do you have any PME earth export issues to consider?

Thanks for your reply i am sorry i have not replied sooner.

The answer to your questions are is i don't know because my dad is doing it for me but i am sure he does.

Thanks again for your reply.

Check with him, and if he doesn't know, or tries to suggest that those things don't matter, then I'm sorry, but Dad or not he is not competent to be doing the job.

Have you notified the council yet?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back