Power to a Boiler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there,

Newto this and just wanted some reference if possible.

Was wondering where to take power from to go to a new combi boiler?

Di i put in a seperate circuit from the consumer unit to the boiler via a fused socket, or is it possible to spur off an existing circuit.

Thanx for any help provided.

Sponsored Links
Whilst a boiler supply can be spured off the nearest ring via switched fused spur, it is common practice, and better, to install a circuit purely for the boiler that is seperate from anything else.

Cable from a 10A MCB in the consumer unit, using 2.5mm Twin and Earth, to a point adjacent to the boiler. Mount a Switched Fused Spur, change the fuse to a 3A, and terminate the supply and boiler feed cables into it.

Job done :)

Is there a separate pump at the boiler?
Are you running the boiler supply cable outdoors / underground?

Sponsored Links
securespark said:
FWL

Can't you use a 3/6A MCB at the board?

You can indeed, but I did not know whether he would be powering a controller that ran valves and pump (s) additionally to the boiler, hence simply stating 10A to save a long winded explanation.

All to often I get accused of baffling people by long explanantions, and I did not want this thread to iterate into a slag off FWL thread like many have in the past.

FWL_Engineer said:
Whilst a boiler supply can be spured off the nearest ring via switched fused spur, it is common practice, and better, to install a circuit purely for the boiler that is seperate from anything else.

Cable from a 10A MCB in the consumer unit, using 2.5mm Twin and Earth, to a point adjacent to the boiler. Mount a Switched Fused Spur, change the fuse to a 3A, and terminate the supply abd boiler feed cables into it.

WHAT!

Do you mean to tell me that the pl*mber who installed mine, and ran 3m of flex from the closest socket to an FCU next to the boiler didn't do it right?

I don't believe it...

ban-all-sheds said:
FWL_Engineer said:

Cable from a 10A MCB in the consumer unit, using 2.5mm Twin and Earth, to a point adjacent to the boiler. Mount a Switched Fused Spur, change the fuse to a 3A, and terminate the supply abd boiler feed cables into it.

WHAT!

Do you mean to tell me that the pl*mber who installed mine, and ran 3m of flex from the closest socket to an FCU next to the boiler didn't do it right?

I don't believe it...

Maybe, he was pre-emting part 'p'???

And not connecting directly to the homes supply...

I'll get me coat :D

mildmanneredjanitor said:
..And not connecting directly to the homes supply...
When I said he ran 3m of flex from the nearest socket, I don't mean he plugged it in, he did:

[code:1] ||
[SOCKET]~~~~~~~~~~~~3m flex~~~~~~~~~~[FCU]~~~~{boiler}
||
|| (ring)[/code:1]

with the flex wired into the back of the socket....

fine if and only if the flex is 2.5mm or bigger

he probablly used 1.5mm though which is definately not fine

ban-all-sheds said:
..And not connecting directly to the homes supply...
When I said he ran 3m of flex from the nearest socket, I don't mean he plugged it in, he did:

[code:1] ||
[SOCKET]~~~~~~~~~~~~3m flex~~~~~~~~~~[FCU]~~~~{boiler}
||
|| (ring)[/code:1]

with the flex wired into the back of the socket....

Oh dear!

Do Corgi registered Gas Engineers have to undergo any basic electrical training then???

Seems daft, if they don't. Most boilers require a certain amount of electrical work. I think you proper bonafide sparkies should mention something. Woe betide you if you look at a gas pipe in a meaningful way ;)

Never seen a plumber bond his own pipework either come to think of it... Oooh can of wormies!

Multi disciplined... Shhh, don't tell Mr BC, but that's another thread ;)

I discovered that thread this afternoon - most amusing. Wonder what would happen if we fixed up BC with FWL? :rolleyes:

dingbat said:

I discovered that thread this afternoon - most amusing. Wonder what would happen if we fixed up BC with FWL? :rolleyes:

:D

My moneys on FWL, electrical engineer is a specific skill and not a generic term!

Sharing knowledge is very rewarding, antagonising people for no reason (I suppose is for some people too!)
:LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back