Power to a shed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I hope to power a shed for occasional use over the winter and was considering running an extension lead. It is required to power a light, laptop & tv (for approx 1h, 3 times per week).

The distance is approx 40metres and would be plugged in to an existing external power socket.

Any issues with this? Are there any minimum requirements? What size cable would be recommended? Should it have an RCD adapter?

Would "Orange Flex 3182Y 1mm 10 Amp 2 Core Flexible Cable" be suitable?

Many thanks.

Sponsored Links
Hi, I hope to power a shed for occasional use over the winter and was considering running an extension lead. It is required to power a light, laptop & tv (for approx 1h, 3 times per week). The distance is approx 40metres and would be plugged in to an existing external power socket. Any issues with this?
Do I take it that you are talking about leaving the extension lead there 'permanently', even though your use would only be occasional? If so, that is really not a satisfactory approach, because of the potential hazards and environmental factors to which the cable would be subjected, and the consequent risks to persons. I know it's not what you want to hear, but the proper approach is to have a 'proper supply' installed for the shed, which would probably require you to engage the services of an electrician.

Is there any heating in the shed? If not, aren't you going to get cold watching TV and using your laptop 'over the winter'?!

Kind Regards, John

Hi, I hope to power a shed for occasional use over the winter and was considering running an extension lead. It is required to power a light, laptop & tv (for approx 1h, 3 times per week).

The distance is approx 40metres and would be plugged in to an existing external power socket.

Any issues with this? Are there any minimum requirements? What size cable would be recommended? Should it have an RCD adapter?

Would "Orange Flex 3182Y 1mm 10 Amp 2 Core Flexible Cable" be suitable?

Many thanks.
I think with that length and csa of cable you would need a very low value fuse to meet disconnection times.
For temporary use it doesn't break any regulations, but imagine if there's a short from line to earth in your TV. All the metal appliances in the shed will be at a dangerous voltage until the fuse blows. You have to be sure that the fuse will still blow quick enough to prevent any risk, even with the resistance of the cable.
Another solution would be to only use class 2 (no earth required) equipment in the shed, but you still have a risk of fire in the event of a short.
If you do the calculations you can work out what fuse to use and what thickness of cable you need, relative to your maximum demand at the shed.

40metres is a long way for a cable with a csa of only 1mm². With even a light load, you'll not have enough volts at the far end. The cable will need to be a lot meatier, and suitable for fixed installation use outdoors.

Also.........

Shed, winter, TV. How are you going to keep warm?

Sponsored Links
Sorry, I should have said that an RCD would deal with the earth loop impudence problem, but not the short (or voltage drop)

laptops have batteries.

portable Tv's run off batteries - unless you mean a 50 inch plasma?

an LED torch?

Many thanks for input. I'll be cycling in the shed so (trust me) getting cold won't be an issue.

I was going to leave the extension running along the fence line permanently, however, the extension lead & equipment would only be plugged in/live when in use.

Before I moved I previously had a similar setup in a powered garage and it worked well. Now that I have moved I was looking to recreate in a shed down the garden.

I was going to leave the extension running along the fence line permanently, however, the extension lead & equipment would only be plugged in/live when in use. Before I moved I previously had a similar setup in a powered garage and it worked well. Now that I have moved I was looking to recreate in a shed down the garden.
Many people do it, so you will have to make your own decision. However, you did ask whether there were 'any issues' and, as I said at the start, it isn't really a satisfactory way of doing it. Apart from anything else, the cable can be damaged (by people, animals or the environment) whether is is 'plugged in' or not.

Kind Regards, John

Don't even consider using 2 core flex - you must have an earth core as well, in case Class 1 equipment gets plugged in.

On balance I think I will just run a cable down there every time I need to use the shed.

What benefit is an RCD adapter for this type of application. i.e. powering light/tv/laptop ?

On balance I think I will just run a cable down there every time I need to use the shed. What benefit is an RCD adapter for this type of application. i.e. powering light/tv/laptop ?
RCD protection is certainly desirable. However, if the circuit into which you would plug the extension is already RCD protected, you would gain nothing by having an additional RCD in an 'RCD adaptor' (other than giving you 'belt and braces' protection in case the house RCD becomes faulty, and stops working properly).

Kind Regards, John

Nice idea. :idea:

I reckon I can put out 200W for 1 hr. Should cover a TV, laptop & light bulb.

But unlikely to be cost effective after taking into account purchasing an AC dynamo.

What about a large 24v solar panel on the roof, charging an old (eBay) APC UPS off ebay in the shed. Should be fine with LED lights.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back