power to boiler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys

I need a new power source for my boiler controller, (long Story)is it possible to break into lighting circuits in loft (bungalow) and take a feed from there via a 3amp fcu if so could someone please tell me how this can be achieved what JB's and how to connect up in loft :?:
Cheers,

EB

Sponsored Links
Suely if you live in a bungalow you can easily take a dedicated feed from the fuse board and have the boiler on it's own circuit?

Although you can put a 3A fused spur on a light circuit that does have some design dependencies such as the light circuit fuse rating and the number of lights (and wattage) of the lights on the circuit.

Then there's the matter of the lighting circuit's fuse going and in turn the boiler not having power.

If you have no choice them it's a matter of finding a (non switched) live / phase, a neutral and an earth on the existing light circuit and running 1.0 or 1.5 TE between this point and the fused spur.

Have you confirmed with the boiler spec that 3A is enough ?

Thanks Chri5,
don't like messing with the CU, the boiler is 3amp everything is already in place and working but Mrs wants another sfcu for appliance under worktop and no more sockets, new units ,tiles etc so want to minimise mess thought from lighting circuit seemed best Idea just about 4ft of trunking hidden by units, So can I just find the live cable and take a single cable from that using a JB :?:
I know where all power cables switch cables etc are on the ring as I have traced them all at some time or other
EB

Sponsored Links
Can you? Well I suppose it is physical possible.

Are you allowed to? No
Heating and Kitchens come under Part P so unless you intend to pay LABC £125 you are not allowed to do it.

Would a registered electrician do it? No
He would have no problems in taking supply from CU.

Will BS 7671:2008 permit it? No
As a fault could create danger by tripping the lights as a 6A MCB will likely trip before a 3A fuse.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back