Power to Garage Crossing Drive

RDW

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All

I wonder if some of you could give me some advice please.

Between my neighbours house and his garage I own the drive, he has right of access to use my drive to get to his garage.

Across my drive he has an electric cable suspended by a wire cable from his house to his garage to supply power, not much I suspect, just lights and some sockets. This cable and wire are about 8 to 10 feet from the ground.

This, as far as I can recall, has been here since I bought the house in Jan 99, although I can not remember, and there is nothing about this right in the deeds.

It has not really been an issue, or worry, to me untill today, when my father drove in with some laders tied on his trailer. He, not remembering, or seeing, the wire, missed them by inches, if that. I was watching at the time and thought he knew and was going to stop.

I have now decided that I am not happy with the this situation as some one could get seriously hurt by this on my property.

My question is, Is there anything I can do ? And, are there any laws or local bodies that I could use for support in getting this situation resolved?

Sponsored Links
Forget the issue for a minute, the key to any neighbour-related problem is communication and the one thing you haven't mentioned yet is whether you have discussed this with them , what their response was etc.

If you dive in to "laws and local bodies" without attempting to resolve between yourselves ...

1. The "laws and local bodies" won't be all that interested as they will ask you the same question.

2. You will worsen whatever relationship you currently enjoy with your neighbour and any future trivial issues will be a nightmare.

3. The resolution will be significantly more problematic and lengthy.

All the above aside, your neighbour's expectation for services to their garage is reasonable IMO.

Whether it should it should be hung on a catenary wire across your property or be SWA buried underneath it is for discussion, though I would like it higher than 10 feet above my drive ... Let's wait and see what others think :LOL:

If you were starting with a blank canvas, though, the SWA cable buried under the drive would be the preferred option but, as you're not, would you really favour digging up the drive to lay cable or simply work together to make the current arrangement safer ... Raise it higher ;)

MW

blimey :rolleyes:

you are sitting at home not a care in the world you are realy realy freindly get on well with the neibours then a solicitors letter comes through your door :eek: :eek: :eek:

just explain your concerns say you dad is getting forgetfull and your worried he might bring it down

and have in your mind what you would be happy with

bit off timber as a bridge
a bit of cable to raise the wire up rather than sag down
bury the cable

now dont expect anything to be done be reasonable and negotiate toward what you think is a compromise

remember you havent got a clue where you stand it could be 100% cosha or completly not permitted [thats putting to one side whether it complies with planning or electrical regs] ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back