Power to Garden Shed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I've searched the forum and found a few threads concerning this, but I'm not sure whether they're applicable to what I'd like to do.

I want to have a double socket in my shed so that I can run a drill and maybe a couple of fluorescent lights.

At first I thought that I could run an armoured cable down the garden with a plug on the house end, to just treat like a big armoured extension lead that stays permanently out there...

Then after having a bit of a read, I've noticed that it could be possible to spur off of the downstairs ring which would do away with the whole plug thing - would you recommend this?

Also safety wise - if I'm off the main ring am I covered by the main CU or is it wise to get another mini CU in my shed before the socket?

Sorry if I sound ignorant - I'm quite competent at auto-electrics but this is a whole different kettle of fish!

Many thanks

Tom

Sponsored Links
The iseal situation would be to run The SWA from your consumer unit to the shed, then there is a couple of options.
Regarding the power supply within the shed and the purpose it will be used. i.e electrical equipment being used, welders, lathes etc...
If you have read through the posts, you will notice that part p of building regs crop up as does notifiction of work. This will be true of the work you wish to do also.

I want to have a double socket in my shed so that I can run a drill and maybe a couple of fluorescent lights.
Beware of fluorescent lighting and rotating machinery.

At first I thought that I could run an armoured cable down the garden with a plug on the house end, to just treat like a big armoured extension lead that stays permanently out there...
No, you can't terminate SWA into a plug, and it's difficult to just have cable running down the garden in a way which is reasonably safe, and therefore legal.

Then after having a bit of a read, I've noticed that it could be possible to spur off of the downstairs ring which would do away with the whole plug thing - would you recommend this?
No.

Also safety wise - if I'm off the main ring am I covered by the main CU or is it wise to get another mini CU in my shed before the socket?
No point in having a CU fed by a fused spur.

A CU supplied direct from your house CU, or even better via a switchfuse from the meter tails, is what you want.

As the fife & drum man said, this is all notifiable...

Of course, although not preferable to a dedicated circuit, for occasional use of small power tools, chargers and the like, a couple of 13A sockets fed via an FCU from the downstairs ring final would work just fine. You could have another switched FCU in the shed fitted with a 3A fuse to supply a light.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the fast replies.

Am I correct in thinking that the safest and most professional way to do this would be:

Spare slot in House consumer unit > T+E > Junction box(somewhere to join two cables - how's this normally done?) > SWA(earthed sheath) to shed > Junction box > T+E > Mini CU with RCD > T+E > Double socket?

Also who do I notify? Is it the council or insurance? Sorry for the questions again if that sounds stupid - it's amazing that I can service the brakes on my car and not need to let anyone know!

SWA all the way from house CU to shed CU would be better.
The work is notifiable as the law requires you, under the building regs (part p) to notify it.

So I would get (pay) a building inspector to check the installation afterwards?

Yes, or whoever they appoint to inspect their installation on their behalf, although they will probably want to inspect both during and after the work to satisfy themselves that cable runs are correct etc.

You pay before any work is started, they will then inspect the work as and when they decide.

This is usually part of your local council, but you can find the correct department using the search on this website:
http://www.labc.uk.com/site/index.php (right side of page where it says 'Find your local authority'.

Yes, or whoever they appoint to inspect their installation on their behalf, although they will probably want to inspect both during and after the work to satisfy themselves that cable runs are correct etc.

My LABC want to be notified before you start the work.

£220 for approval from my council. That's really too dear for the type of installation I'm looking to fit. Is there anyway I could wire it so that it's a 'temporary' fixture that doesn't require this - say if I routed the SWA to a junction box, to a flex, with a plug head on the end which I could put in and out of a socket in my garage? - Much like an extension lead?

My LABC want to be notified before you start the work.

They all do, and it's my bad for saying 'yes' in response to the quote. It was intended to come across as "yes, they will need to inspect", but on reading again, it doesn't! :oops:

No. A plug won't make any difference, it is still a fixed installation
If as described in the latest proposal (extension lead) to what is it fixed?

tdah1986,

in the application you describe where you are feeding a shed, as soon as you screw / nail / glue / clip or otherwise fix anything that electricity passes through outside your house you need to notify.

So you need to make sure your proposed extension cable is safe. That means RCDs, waterproof joints, protection against the elements etc.... The fact you have decided to use SWA is a good start, plenty of people would use twin and earth, which would be legal but not neccessarily safe.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back