Powering 12v fan from 240v Twin & Earth cable

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I am wanting to power a Noctua NF-S12A 12v fan from a Twin & Earth cable which I assume is 240v. For this to work I am also assuming I will need some form of transformer e.g. 240/12v 60w Electronic Transformer with terminal block that I will connect between the Twin & Earth cable and the 3-pin fan connector.

That's my simplistic view of the project but I just wanted to pass it by some people more knowledgeable than me and to get any advice on which transformer to choose as there are many to choose from.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Or you could just buy a 240v fan and save yourself a lot of work, time and complexity.

Any money you save could go towards a DMM to reduce the number of assumptions you make.

The main reason for this fan is it's low dB rating so unless you can find a 240v fan that can be as quiet as 7.4 dB(A) then I am happy to work on a more complex project.

Sponsored Links
I don't know what your requirements are for the fan, so I won't try and find one for you.

I only know that although it seems to be a computer cooling fan, you don't want to use it in a computer.

The fan requires 12V DC, so this: http://www.screwfix.com/p/halolite-led-constant-voltage-driver-1-16w/85503 would be suitable.

The one you have linked to is designed for halogen lighting, has an AC output and will have a minimum load far greater than the fan, so totally unsuitable.

Nor is it a transformer despite what the manufacturer says.

Something like this would be more than adequate for your needs

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Argos-BDVD8310-mains-supply-adaptor/dp/B005IZ9RSS

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back