Powerline Adapters

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guys, Can someone please recommend me a good powerline. I currently have a TP-Link AV500 powerline adapter with one upstairs and one on the ground floor and one next to the router.

My router is situated in the attic, so I would need the WiFi around the house. My current powerline adapters are not very good, the connection always drops I have spent a further £44 for a second powerline adapter for the ground floor which, still is not very effective as I would like it to be.

We have a fairly large two story victorian house, the WiFi does not reach all parts of the house. Can someone please recommend me a good powerline adapter then would be ideal? or anything that will get me wireless all around the house.

Thank you

Sponsored Links
Power line radiates interference from the mains cables and affects nearby radio equipment.
http://www.frequencycast.co.uk/powerline.html said:
The interference can radiate out around 100 metres. There's also evidence that Powerline adapters can cause interference to FM and DAB radio reception.
It might even degrade your WiFi connections.

At last the authorities are considering taking action against them

http://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.ph...te-owners-bad-powerline-network-adapters.html

Whilst I'm sure Bernard makes a good point, I also have a TP-link powerline (although not the same model as yours) which works perfectly.

Is it possible that both units must be on the same ring in order to function properly?

Is it possible that both units must be on the same ring in order to function properly?
Being on different rings ( or radials ) requires the signal to get through the MCBs protecting the rings ( or radials ). It does but at reduced level. However the radiation from one ring will also get onto the cables for the other ring if the cables run close to each other at any point ( where they approach the CU for example )

The power emitted by the transmitter is almost always (much) higher than would be necessary if the units were all on the same run of mains cable.

Because the signal can be picked up and decoded as far as 50 metres from the building they are far from secure despite what the sellers claim.

Sponsored Links
I use the tp Link units and they work well for me even on different circuits.

The power emitted by the transmitter is almost always (much) higher than would be necessary if the units were all on the same run of mains cable.

Because the signal can be picked up and decoded as far as 50 metres from the building they are far from secure despite what the sellers claim.

Oh dear, I had no idea they might be insecure. Is that despite the router being secured with a password?

There is no substitute for a wired network (duck the brickbats! lol) - that is a length of CAT 5e between two points! I know in many cases installation will cause a great deal of disruption, but in the long run it will be worth it. These powerline adapters are fine as a short-term solution or for test purposes, but IMO not for permanent use.

Being on different rings ( or radials ) requires the signal to get through the MCBs protecting the rings ( or radials ). It does but at reduced level. .

Just thinking out loud...

I'd imagine that reduction would be less with fuses than it would with breakers

I'd also reckon C type breakers would cause less reduction than B types due to the magnetic trip coil being shorter?

Whilst they may well work OK for the householder who is using them - you do not see the problems that they cause.

You only need to search on youtube for "plt interfeirance" and you can see how widespread the signal output from them is.

Use wires - they are more secure & keep the signals in your house.

Whilst they may well work OK for the householder who is using them - you do not see the problems that they cause.

You only need to search on youtube for "plt interfeirance" and you can see how widespread the signal output from them is.

Use wires - they are more secure & keep the signals in your house.

I have no idea what plt interference is, but googled it. From what I can gather, it is interference (that can be caused by powerline adapters) that affects SW, MW and LW radio.

Who uses SW, MW and LW these days?

That is not really the point, apart from their being used by people and other services.

Those examples given are what many people understand but in reality form a very small portion of the frequency spectrum that these devices cause interference to.

That is not really the point, apart from their being used by people and other services.

Those examples given are what many people understand but in reality form a very small portion of the frequency spectrum that these devices cause interference to.

So why haven't they been banned?

Tried tp-link but proved unreliable and would not work with other brands, the Solwise have proved faultless.Never dropped out and work with every other brand I have.
Don't understand your problem though as if your router [WIFI?]is in the loft signal should be good all over.
If you router does not also have wifi there are combined power over Ethernet and wifi units you could put in the loft [and elsewhere is signal is weak].

http://stakeholders.ofcom.org.uk/enforcement/spectrum-enforcement/plt/

...Current statistics on PLT complaints
Ofcom has maintained statistics on PLT since July 2008. As of December 2013 there have been a total of 289 reports of interference attributed to PLT. Every report of interference concerns an inability to receive a transmission on the shortwave band and is made by amateur radio users.
Complaints of PLT interference have shown considerable decline. Since January 2012, 2 complaints have been identified as PLT related (compared with 287 between July 2008 to December 2011). This is against an increased take-up of the technology...

Not cut and dried then ?

-0-

I may be being a bit thick here (please don't hesitate to confirm that!), but my powerline adapters surely transmit on a much higher frequency than short-wave transmissions. So how do they interfere?

And, incidentally, at what sort of distance does this interference take place? Perhaps there are no SW fanatics around here.

Sponsored Links
Back