powermax 155 noise from flue

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
every time my boiler fires up there is a whistling noise from the flue.
Any ideas??

Sponsored Links
Dropped baffles or gas valve out of calibration. Either way, strongly recommend you get an RGI that understands the powermax or contact Baxi/potterton for a fixed fee repair.

Gas valves and baffles cause the noise but neither are diy....definitely.

Sponsored Links
gas valve or turbulators as said above.

i'd get baxi to sort their own turd. hope they can fix it, the last two ive put to them for whistling they couldnt repair.

wee bit more info dai bach

whats your boiler make/model
Hey haggis, ta for the reply but the make and model were in the header. Have you seen my follow up - BG came to replace gas valve and baffles but also replaced the burner. I have a feeling i have been tucked up. Thoughts please

yay, lets run two threads in a top confusing manner. :rolleyes:

Presumably the oiginal visit left the boiler intact and working to keep you warm?

To inspect the burner considerable dismantling has to be done and often parts are needed to put it back together.

Much better to assess whats likely to be wrong and order the parts and return with them, carefully inspecting the boiler when they are fitted.

Thats why the Potty staff engineers are a better bet because they should have all the parts with them.

Tony

wee bit more info dai bach

whats your boiler make/model
Hey haggis, ta for the reply but the make and model were in the header. Have you seen my follow up - BG came to replace gas valve and baffles but also replaced the burner. I have a feeling i have been tucked up. Thoughts please

jock,maybe.haggis,never!!!!! sorry bud left specs in car while trying to read posts last night,did`nt even catch header.
if the first inspection diagnosed a faulty gas valve and baffles, what made them come out a second time to re-diagnose (another fault?) which requires a new burner??

Gas valve yes turbulators no.

Surprised so much reference to them. Even if they have dropped they shouldn't cause a noise (resonance) problem, according to my original training (by the designer Dr Jackson) the IMI Powermax is fine to use with the turbulators dropped.
Following a few 'incident' it is now required to replace the turbulators if they had dropped!

Gas valve yes turbulators no.

Surprised so much reference to them. Even if they have dropped they shouldn't cause a noise (resonance) problem, according to my original training (by the designer Dr Jackson) the IMI Powermax is fine to use with the turbulators dropped.
Following a few 'incident' it is now required to replace the turbulators if they had dropped!

Have heard stories of some baxi/pott guys just removing them and leaving them out.

I hope you questioned Dr Jackson on what possessed him to design and build the p'max :LOL:

If BG changed the gas valve and its still whistling i wonder if they changed the injector at same time? Also you would have been better off getting it repaired on a fixed price repair. I would also suggest rufusing to pay for burner unless they prove it to be the fault and not pay for the gaskets / baffles / G.Vlv

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back