Powermax 155x – Pump replacement - drain blocked URGENT

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Pretty urgent as there’s no heating and hot water!

I have an open vented Powermax 155x boiler. It’s under a Potterton maintenance contract and has stopped working. The Potterton engineer say that it’s unrepairable because the pump needs replacing and the drain at the bottom of the boiler is blocked with sludge. If he unblocks it 150 litres of water with come through the house. I’m not convinced…

If it’s the hot water heat exchanger pump it’s on a separate loop that looks like it can be isolated.

If it’s the central heating pump, can’t the heat store be almost completed drained via a radiator drain?

Could the sludge block be cleared by back filling it from the mains water via the drain?

Any solutions or comments?

Sponsored Links
Can't remember what it looks like inside as I generally avoid them but if it's blocked there will be some way round it.

The problem you have is manufacturers agents often won't do anything out of the ordinary to fix things either because they aren't allowed to or just can't because they are poor engineers.

worst case scenario use a freezer kit but could be easily sorted

If its a pump, and I'd keep an open mind on that, then they should have isolating valves to allow the pumps to be swapped.
Can you say exactly what is happenening.
When the HW LED is on, does it fire up and get hot ?

Sponsored Links
If it's the one with a pump in front of the sump at the bottom then it doesn't have pump valves and yes the system can be drained to replace either pump from any drain point. The pump valves on these are garbage and always leak.

Still a bit sceptical about this 'pump' issue. The OP says he has no hot water and no heating. If the CH pump was the issue then he would still have DHW and vice versa.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back