Pre-fill patio slabs before using Jointex Easy?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have a 40 square metre patio of riven concrete 600x600 slabs which we intend to completely replace in about two years time. For now though, just want to tart up the existing stuff. Have raked out old mortar from joints (20mm wide 30mm deep) and jet cleaned/swept whole area. I think the slabs were originally laid on a sand bed (possibly with mortar dabs, if I recall the guy's work correctly).

I was intending to use Jointex Easy for the pointing, but as it's very expensive overall, could I first part fill the joints with a suitable sand to reduce the amount of Jointex Easy required? If so, what type of sand, please?

I know this won't be a durable solution, just a temporary cosmetic fix. Any advice/tips most welcome. Thanks.

fmj

Sponsored Links
I am not sure how it suits for slabs with wide gap, but better to use block paving sand.

Thanks Santim. Do you mean sharp sand such as blocks would be laid onto - rather than kiln-dried sand used for filling block joints? (Or are they the same thing?)

Sponsored Links
Thanks for clarification, Santim.

I was going to apply the Jointex Easy to wetted slabs (as per the pavingexpert.com demo video), as that looks easiest for me. So my thought was to 3/4 fill the depth with sand, settle it with a light hose sprinkle, then top off with the JE. So I'm not sure if the kiln-dried sand would simply clog up if mixed in with it; and maybe bulking it up could interfere with JE's curing properties? (Although I gather the Jointex can also be dry brushed in, then wetted).

When I buy the stuff, I'll experiment on a couple of completely seperate small bits first and see how it goes, before doing the main area. Thanks again for your replies and your time. Appreciated. fmj

Not at all=) As you finish, write about results, please.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back