Preparing a previously plastered wall for plasterboard

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I'm taking my existing plaster off to fit plasterboard.

Do I need to take it back to block work or will it suffice to take it back to the initial layer of plaster?

I ask because I'm removing it by hand and it's exhausting work taking the first layer of plaster back.

I've attached an image of the wall in question, showing the layers.

Thanks in advance,

Ben

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    115.6 KB · Views: 152
Sponsored Links
The gypsum plaster seems to be well bonded to the wall - why do you want to remove it and fit plaster board?

Anyhow, if indeed the plaster is well bonded then leave it alone, and pin the plasterboard to the papered surface.
Or are you contemplating using adhesive or Dot & Dab boarding?
Have you considered the possible knock-on consequences of pulling the wall surfaces out?

Hi,

Thanks for the prompt reply.

We're taking the whole room back to square 1. That wall is nowhere near true (plaster is all over the place) and we wanted to try and straighten the wall up by using large sheets of plasterboard. The idea was to dot and dab (I'd have someone in to do it).

We didn't want to put plasterboard over the papered surface as it would kill my OCD knowing it's under there.

What do you mean by "knock on consequences of pulling the walls out"?

Are you talking about the walls being "thicker"? Affecting things like window boards?

Sponsored Links
Dot & Dab has come in for much criticism these last few years google its critics if you will.

Knock-on consequences would be "thicker" walls affecting everything that touches on the walls such as: window boards and reveals, skirtings, coving, door linings, floor coverings, radiators and all electrical devices.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back