Preparing patchy walls for emulsion

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
After wall paper removal from the whole ground floor I am left with walls that are in quite good condition – it looks like they had a few good coats of emulsion before they were ever papered so there is very little damage to the plaster, but there are quite a lot of patches where the emulsion has lifted altogether and bare plaster is visible.
Some people have advised the use of basecoat followed by several coats of emulsion, but others have said the patches would still show through and I think they are probably right.
I started work on the WC at Easter and have spent a ridiculous amount of time sanding the walls to remove all the emulsion and then they needed quite a lot of filling. I’ve killed a ½ sheet sander, filled the house (and my lungs, despite a face mask) with dust several times and ended up with very sore hands and eyes. The problem is the emulsion that is left is really stuck and it can take ages to remove tiny patches, even with 60 grit paper.
The result is excellent, but there’s got to be a better way – I need to do the whole house. I can’t afford a plasterer to skim it all – I don’t think the walls warrant that anyway and I really, really, really don’t want to use lining paper.
I’m prepared to put in the time and elbow grease, but I think I’ll be still on room 2 by Christmas if I carry on using the same method.
I was wondering whether filling and sanding the patches would work – please can anyone advise.
I have searched and searched the internet but haven’t managed to find a solution.

Sponsored Links
Some people have advised the use of basecoat followed by several coats of emulsion, but others have said the patches would still show through and I think they are probably right.

Correct

The result is excellent, but there’s got to be a better way

Yep...lining paper

I would sand them down to remove most of the rough edge then seal the wall with some thin emulsion then sand then line it

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back