Prepping coving

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello

The paint on the coving in my bathroom is peeling pretty badly. I've been trying to sand the paint off so I can start from fresh but it's been hard work. On reading other forum posts, I think I might have damaged the paper covering (I think it's paper covered plaster covering).

I've attached a picture of where I think I've gone through the paint and ruffed up the paper underneath. Having a buggered the coving up or is there a way to prep/repair it?

Is there a better way to go about removing the paint? I'm not sure if I should be using paint strippers or steam at risk of damaging the coving further.

Dave

Sponsored Links
Opps! Yes you have damaged the cardboard coating, I would just clean off the really loose stuff repair with a skim of filler and repaint, only other thing i can suggest is to cut a strip of lining paper to fit the curved section and paste that into place. Then paint that.

Cheers for the response. I did start off scraping it with little success but I think my scraper might be past it's best. Found another in the toolbox which did a much better job at chipping off the paint without damaging the paper beneath.

I need a slightly more flexible (and sharp!) one so off to the shops for me after work tomorrow! I'll attempt to scrap off the worst, sand it with a much finer paper than I have been.

Any suggestions on a filler? I've got quite a large area that's ended up with patch like this - maybe 3 metre length or so. I suppose a primer or basecoat would be easy to apply but would that do the job do you think?

thanks

Dave

Polycell smoothover is good used with their application tool very easy to sand and smooth finish.

Sponsored Links
It may pay to give the damaged area a coat or two of thin emulsion before you do any more filling and sanding, just to give the surface a bit of 'strength'.

sounds like a plan! thanks both for the advice. May try and tackle it over the weekend.

dave

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back