Preserving tree stump

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello

I've recently had a lime tree cut down and I've kept the tree stumps to use as stools in the garden. I'm going to leave them to dry first and then treat them but I'm not sure what with. Any ideas?

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
If the stumps are still in the ground then they will rot from below anyway so pointless.
If the stumps are out and movable then leave them to dry out for the summer, keep them covered during the winter and use a normal garden furniture product next year.

It would probably be a good idea to paint the ends to stop the timber drying out too quickly and leaving you with what is basically firewood. Removing the bark is good too, it'll help the drying and grubs and the like tend to live just under the bark.
The wood will most likely need standing in a dish of treatment as well because lime isn't the most durable of timbers for garden furnature.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back