Pressure and flow issue with Worcester Greenstar 30CDi

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Sorry for such a newbie question.

My mother has a Worcester Greenstar 30CDi. We've had a lot of strange errors pop-up on the display lately, and the hot bath water doesn't work when at full flow.

1) The pressure gauge on the boiler is now lower than 1. From memory, when installed two years ago, it hovered around 1.5. I don't know if this is related to the other issues and I can't find the tap, or location(!), of the filler loop. Does anyone know where it is?

2) When the bath water runs, it is piping hot but only if we keep the tap to a trickle. When it's opened up more, flowing normally, the boiler definitely fires but cuts off within a couple of seconds. The water becomes stone cold. All the sinks and washing machine is fine, suggesting that it's some sort of flow issue - I just hope it's not the pcb. Ideas?

3) Before I came down, when she tried to run the bath, the boiler would flash up the error code EA. Have read up on this and it signifies an ignition failure - which makes no sense, as the radiators are working fine, there's enough gas, and the water in the sinks has also been fine.

4) The other error code, which I looked up in the engineer service manual, is "The Syphon-Fill programme is active". It's service function 4.F which says:

4.F SYPHON-FILL PROGRAMME
The syphon filling function ensures that the syphon trap is filled when the appliance is first installed or shut down for a long period. Flue gas is prevented from escaping into the room that the appliance is installed.
The syphon filling function is activated when: • the appliance is switched on at the main switch • the burner has not been in operation for at least
48 hours
• the appliance is switched from summer to winter mode
The next time the heating or hot water system calls for heat, the appliance is held at minimum output for 15 minutes. The syphon filling programme remains active until the appliance has completed 15 minutes of operation at minimum output.
The 2-digit display alternates between and the CH flow temperature.

Might this all be related to the low pressure? If so, can anyone advise how to increase it? I've put the engineer's service manual on my dropbox - download here.

My mother's a pensioner and can't afford a plumber - I'm obviously more than happy to pay, but whilst I'm visiting I'd quite like to see if I can fix it myself! Advice gratefully received,

Thanks a lot

Will

Sponsored Links
How do you know there is plenty of gas? You only know there is SOME gas.

Check that your mum hasn't inadvertently partially closed the gas meter isolation valve.

The trap filling programme occurs when the mains power has been turned off or interrupted, and takes around 20 mins.

Pressure drop is nothing to do with it and 0.5bar over a year is not a big deal. You or she can repressurize using the white key in the bottom cover. This should be carried out at the annual service.

Thanks for the download, I think you'll find we know where to get the information, its our job.

Simon,

Just checked the valves on the cylinders. All are fully open. The tanks were replaced three weeks ago but she had this problem before the new ones came, and after, when the new ones were full. Supply doesn't seem to be the problem - unless a leak has sprung.

What I don't understand is why it's decently hot when the sinks and bath taps are on slow/low, but the moment demand increases it just cuts off. It's as though it can't get enough gas which, to my ignorant mind, suggests a leak.

Guess we'll call the plumber then.

Thanks anyway - and I gave you that download link to help in the event you weren't familiar off-hand with this boiler, not to suggest you didn't know what you were talking about.

Will

Sponsored Links
The important thing you missed out was that your mum is on LPG.

It sounds like you might have a faulty regulator on the gas supply and you will need an LPG qualified RGI to check this.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back