PRESSURE PROBLEMS WITH A WORCESTER 24LE 24CDI COMBI

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello

I've just moved into my new house which had been vacant for some time. The existing boiler had had been drained of water and switched off etc. I have no manual and have had to pretty much work everything out using the net.
It took me a while to work out how to fill the boiler with water (using the stupid filling key whilst twisting knobs anti-clockwise and back and god knows what else but finally got the boiler filled upto the recommended pressure (as indicated by the 2nd red gauge indicator which is set at approx 1.4??) I fired the boiler up and it worked for a couple of secs then made a funny noise and shut down...Like there was air in the boiler...
I've bled the radiators which all let massive amounts of air out... i went down to try the boiler and the pressure had dropped back to zero... I topped back up with water and went round again and bled all rads until water started to spurt out and carried on topping the boiler up back to the correct pressure. I tried the boiler again and it fired up, rads got hot and water was running hot.. no problems that way all's working.

Right this is my question :-
The boiler was at the correct pressure 1.4 ish when I finished doing all the the above yesterday, but when the boiler was in use the pressure needle increased to above what it should be to approx 2.0 then when its not in use it decreases to approx 0.8
I filled it to the correct pressure so whys it fluctuating?
Don't get me wrong the boilers working ie hot water and heating but I don't believe the pressure should increase when in use and decreases when not in use...shouldn't it remain constant?I know you need to top up now and again but???? what's up with it... basically?

Any advise would be greatly appreciated..

Amallu (the female wanna b plumber NOT)

Sponsored Links
The pressure will rise when system heats up and fall when the system(rads) cool down. The amount it rises and falls depends on the number of rads you have. if the pressure gets to 3 bar then it will discharge water out of the 15mm pipe (the pressure relief discharge valve opens).
You do not need to go above 1 bar pressure when system is cold. The pipe 15mm copper pipe sticking out of the wall near the boiler should stay completely dry until pressure goes above 3 bar. If wet change the PRDV (pressure relief discharge valve). If the pressure increases too much between cold and hot and expansion vessel is ok. You may need another expansion vessel added to the system but yours sounds ok at the moment.

The pressure will rise when system heats up and fall when the system(rads) cool down. The amount it rises and falls depends on the number of rads you have. if the pressure gets to 3 bar then it will discharge water out of the 15mm pipe (the pressure relief discharge valve opens).
You do not need to go above 1 bar pressure when system is cold. The pipe 15mm copper pipe sticking out of the wall near the boiler should stay completely dry until pressure goes above 3 bar. If wet change the PRDV (pressure relief discharge valve). If the pressure increases too much between cold and hot and expansion vessel is ok. You may need another expansion vessel added to the system but yours sounds ok at the moment.

Ah Righto, (panic over) I didn't know that. I just thought the pressure should stay the same throughout. just shows... cant beat a professional!

Thank you so much, really appreciated! :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back