Pressure Reducing Valve/Water Hammer & other plumbing ad

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,
I’ve got a couple of issues with my plumbing which after taking up floorboards and securing pipes every 18inches (where possible) which leads me to believe I need either a water pressure reducing valve and or water arrestor to solve… the problems I have:

-Dishwasher (and to some extent the washing machine): causes water hammer across the entire cold water (now mains – combi boiler) when it shuts on and shuts off water
-Mixer shower: quiet if turned to full cold or full hot but causes a restricted whoosing type noise on the cold water pipe work if set at a temperature you’d want to shower at. Looks to be a Triniton, probably 5-8 years old judging by bathroom and probably installed prior to the combi boiler upgrade so not sure if it is compatible with combi and mains pressure.

Background info:

I’ve lived in the house for 6 months so have inherited the pipework. A combi boiler was installed 3 years ago and the old header tank/boiler pipework structure was adapted to make it work. Result is mains cold water heads on old (15mm or old 1/2in) piping to the loft from the kitchen mains to the upstairs bathroom and back down to the kitchen for dishwasher & washing machine. The shower has separate plumbing (15mm) off of the mains line before it tees off into a (¾ or 22mm) to the bathroom (back to 15mm for bath, toilet, sink) and down to the kitchen (again on tee’d from ¾ or 22mm to 15mm piping).

I haven’t tested the actual water pressure, but outside hose is powerful as is the shower and taps in the house.

Questions!
- We will have a new kitchen fitted at some point, is it best to plumb in the dishwasher & washing machine from the mains input into the kitchen instead of routing up to the loft and back downstairs?
- Where do you usually install pressure reducing valve? Would it be ok to do it in the loft – if I did it at the mains after the stopcock (and outside tap branch!) water would have to climb up to the loft at reduced pressure so if I put it in the loft I could keep the higher pressure for the rise and reduce it for the bathroom/kitchen when it comes back down again – I don’t know if that’s logical?
- Water arrestor – I was thinking about plumbing this in @ the dishwasher if the PRV doesn’t solve? Plan was to purchase and fit PRV first though.

Thanks,
Matt

Sponsored Links
I would try the shock absorber first, if problem still persists you could cut a gate valve into the distrobution pipe from your cold water storage cistern and close it off slightly, cheaper alternative to a PRV

Could be as simple as loosening the valve case or fitting a metal plate to the side of the water storage tank with the ball valve passing through it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back