Pressure washing system - how good ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Chaps

we have an issue with a client who had his building power washed through. That was in january.

now he has switched the system back on and the pump failed. We changed the pump head but whilst fitting an additional isolation valve noticed quite a heavy build up of sludge in the system

Naturally the client seems a tad miffed and wonders if it has actually been done.

I spoke to the heating eng who assured me it was on a chemical power flush for 6 hours (as I say in jan 14). The system was run for 4 months then turned off. He also said he put a chemical treatment in which was 2 to 3 litres of fernox something or other. I would have thought a commercial system would need more?

He suggested that power flushing can't be expected to remove all the dirt and will only remove the 'loose stuff'

can someone cast an eye on the pictures and comment if this sludge would be normal after a 6 hr power flush with chemicals and 4 months of running.

The client is pondering his next step.

Sponsored Links
If a smaller domestic one was used its unlikely to have enough flow rate to effect a proper clean. How many rads are we talking about?

Sponsored Links
That sludge looks a bit red rusty to me rather than black oxide - is there an air problem :confused:

A power flush can't be expected to do it all. I normally add a cleansing agent for month before hand then one of our upgrade guys goes in and spends a day flushing the system, has a system filter been fitted to help collect any loose debris in the system ? Not really an expert on commercial machines and domestic, but a system is a system and we've flushed systems up to 26 radiators, but it may be that some rads need flushing rad by rad if it is really bad.
It does indeed look a little bit redish.

so if a 6hr powerflush leaves a system with this much muck - it's not really worth doing then?

A power flush can't be expected to do it all. I normally add a cleansing agent for month before hand then one of our upgrade guys goes in and spends a day flushing the system, has a system filter been fitted to help collect any loose debris in the system ? Not really an expert on commercial machines and domestic, but a system is a system and we've flushed systems up to 26 radiators, but it may be that some rads need flushing rad by rad if it is really bad.
It does indeed look a little bit redish.

would you expect a system to have this amount of sludge in it after one of your power flushes.

anyone care to comment as the plumber has gone awol and the client is feeling aggrieved and quite cold..

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back