Preventing door from swinging in the wind.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need to find a way of preventing the access door on our new bi-fold alu doors from swinging open in wind and damaging itself on the sides of the reveal, then swinging back and slamming, causing Grandma to have a heart attack.

The simplest solution would be to fit buffers at frame level on the reveal, but these won't stop it swinging. What I really need is a braced doorstop, which can be attached to the reveal, bracing itself on the wall, which will both absorb the energy of a swinging door and then capture it until somebody releases a catch.

I have looked at the catalogue of SDS in London but can't see anything that will suit an alu door frame with a complex system of rubber seals.

Any ideas? I thought of getting an engineering firm to weld up a braced bracket in SS or powder coated steel or alu then fit it with a buffer and a standard catch.

Sponsored Links
have you considered a friction restrictor ? don't know much about aluminium but if the door has a eurogroove (on the top) it may be possible.
Are they bi-fold (concertina) or french doors? if bi-fold they shoudl be restricted anyway?
roger

Hi Rigidraider, did you or anyone on this thread find a solution?

We have the same issue with the access door on Ali bi fold doors!

Sponsored Links
I wonder whether foot operated spring/hydraulic door holders could be fitted? Companies like Hafele do a full range of these...pinenot :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back