primatic cylinder to indirect

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello - some advice please...
Have a failing (leaking) primatic cylinder which i would like to change to an indirect so i can fernox the heating side. There is a back boiler, and the pump is under the floorboards next to it.
my main question is: where do I make the connections from the F& E (which i need to put in) cistern to the flow and return? Can they be where the flow and return go into the cylinder, and if so specifically which (feed/ vent) to which (flow/ return)? ...I'm hoping for a 'yes'!
Cylinder is in a cupboard on the landing, not much room to play with...
Thank you in anticipation

Sponsored Links
cold feed, 15mm, to the return.
open vent, 22mm, to highest point of the flow, must not rise from tee toward the cylinder and rise to at least 450mm above f&e tank water level

"...must not rise from tee toward the cylinder..."

sorry, not exactly sure what routing you're suggesting...

thank you for your speedy reply!

Sponsored Links
What i meant was, I'm not sure what twgas meant when he said the pipe "must not rise from the tee to the cylinder"... what is the orientation of the tee and which direction does it go to get up to the F&E cistern?

what I meant was, the flow connection on your new cylinder must NOT be any higher than the tee. Basically the flow comes up from boiler, there's a tee on top of it, one branch goes up, in 22mm pipe, that's the vent. the other branch goes, in 28mm, to the cylinder, this is the pipe that must not have a rise in it. I'll try a diagram,

looney, do you have a problem with 28mm

sorry to sound so dumb... do you mean that the tee should be level with the cylinder connection - presumably so any air goes up the vent?
thanks,

sorry to sound so dumb... do you mean that the tee should be level with the cylinder connection - presumably so any air goes up the vent?
thanks,
basically, yes. although it wouldn't hurt if the pipe sloped down toward the cylinder.
looney said:
no just that a standard 3-4 bed would generally be in 22 so whay say 28 and confuse him?>
I would use 28mm on gravity hot water, irrespective of size of house.

sorry people i was thinking of the hws piping and not the primaries for some reason.

To OP would you not consider having the system altered to a y or s plan? more economical , contollable etc

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back