PRIMATIC NIGHTMARE!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a back back boiler with the dreaded primatic cylinder,it hasn't really caused a problem til lately,it was covered with British gas(pipes and boiler cover) they wouldnt cover primatic cylinder.hot water is fine ,central heating not working,the first radiator in line would get hot,the next one being upstairs won't and so on,the engineer called,replaced the pump,then spent the next 7 hrs on the phone trying to learn the system,draining,refilling the system,bleeding etc etc until 11pm.he then admitted defeat,retreating with the promise to return with a more suitably qualified engineer who was competent with these systems,the following Tue he did,i explained the issues and praised the original engineer for staying so late,10 mins later and with no tools taken from van I was quoted £9600 for a new combi system.I know it's old but 2weddings in 2years to pay for,I've spent the combo boiler plans.
Hot water fine .WITH heating off,I can bleed air so all rads are air free,as soon as I put pump on the rads are full of air and can't..get water out at any cost,tried draining and resetting the dreaded bubble same again.waters there until pump fires up,then gone please ,,Helpppppp I haven't a clue where the air is coming from any plumbers out there with any suggestions would be appreciated

Sponsored Links
For that price I would fit you THREE combi systems using the well liked Intergas boiler.

I thought you meant the engineer was coming to fix your system!

Did you know that BG engineers get a small commission for making an appointment for a quotation for a new boiler.

Seems you were conned into thinking he was coming to repair your system

Tony

Last edited:
I actually expected him to at least try a few tests.or even break open his tool box,not just condemn the uninsured item,as I understand when these systems fail the pressure goes so you can't restore the bubble,it's definitely pulling air in from somewhere cud the tank or ball clock be faulting?

Replace primatic with indirect cyl and expansion tank prob cheapest.

BG price is extracting the michael to a considerable extent.

Sponsored Links
Cheapest option would be to replace the cylinder for a new one, which would cost you about £600-700

£9600 for a new combi is lunacy, as Agile said, you should get three combis for that!

You have to drain the system and the cylinder completely and then refill to restore the air bubble.
You should not fit a pump on a system with a primatic cylinder when the pump starts it will pull the air bubble.
Possibly the best solution would be to change the cylinder for an indirect cylinder and convert the existing to a fully pumped system or get some prices from independent installers for a new combi
If you post your location there may be installers on this site that may quote

To re-establish the air bubble you have to drain the heating, and the cylinder, the cylinder should have its own drain cock, the only other thing I can think is that he as reversed the circulation when he replaced the pump, but it will never work as it should until its been drained down correctly,

I have tried drainong down and refilling the system slowly twice now, getting a hose on upstairs rad trying to gravity feed from upstairs to downstairs and all seems ok, again I can get every radiator bled up(system off), so that all rads are full, as soon as the pump is switched on I can crack bleed screws upstairs and get no water or air out, can the bubble in the cylinder be feeding into the ch system?, the not water supply ang water side are all ok

Cheapest option would be to replace the cylinder for a new one, which would cost you about £600-700

Looks like I am undercharging for new cylinders! My basic price to supply and fit standard cylinder is only £460.

But to replace a primatic a new F&E tank needs to be fitted so that would add about £116 making it about £576.

Just replacing the pump should not cause those problems and I also wonder what direction its pumping in.

Can you identify the pump direction in relation to the boiler flow and return pipes if you have any idea which they are?

Tony

Someone has suggested there is a anti gravity valve on the ch side of boiler piping which could be at fault can any one confirm this before I set off with torch and spanners,!

[/QUOTE]

Looks like I am undercharging for new cylinders! My basic price to supply and fit standard cylinder is only £460.

But to replace a primatic a new F&E tank needs to be fitted so that would add about £116 making it about £576.

Just replacing the pump should not cause those problems and I also wonder what direction its pumping in.

Can you identify the pump direction in relation to the boiler flow and return pipes if you have any idea which they are?

Tony[/QUOTE]

At those prices you could earn more stacking shelves in a supermarket lol

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back