primer and undercoat

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all. I understand the importance of a primer which is that of sealing the walls but i do not understand the importance of the undercoat. If after priming the walls, i give two coats of the paint i want my walls to be painted of, would i still need to give an undercoat beforehand or can i get away with it. If NO, why? Thank u.

Sponsored Links
The term priming/undercoat the walls means in effect if your walls have been plastererd, and you need to prime/seal the walls prior to putting on your normal coats of paint.

If your walls are just plastered and dried out properly, either get some white matt you have lying around and thin it down, and put it on the walls, there is different percentages as to how much thinning for this.
some people say 10% others 20%, I normally do 15- 20%, this seals your walls prior to your good coats, and shows up any imperfections caused by gouges, trowel marks etc, then you can fill them.

After rubbing down the filler, whack a bit of paint on the filled areas, when dry, start rolling your normal colour.
By using the white as an undercoat/primer, it saves you using the colour as the white is much cheaper, but its up to you, you can do a undercoat of the colour if you want, but obviously it will eat into your paint colour and cost you more money.

You can use a vinyl paint on your plastered walls, if they have been skimmed,but would be dubious about using a silk or soft sheen, not for a few good while anyway. :D

Good reply there "spice" though the thing about thinning emulsion is they are all different i.e. leyland emulsion can be thinned down 10% & dulux trade emulsion can be thinned down by 25%, as per manufacturers instructions etc In other words always read instructions ! Priming/Undercoating is a term used when painting wood "dotto" & when painting new plaster the term used is sealing. Also DO NOT use just any matt or One Coat emulsions. You can use Dulux Trade Vinyl Matt Emulsion for sealing & finish coat as long as you follow instructions of paint mentioned.

Sponsored Links
Third_Eye said:
Good reply there "spice" though the thing about thinning emulsion is they are all different i.e. leyland emulsion can be thinned down 10% & dulux trade emulsion can be thinned down by 25%, as per manufacturers instructions etc In other words always read instructions ! Priming/Undercoating is a term used when painting wood "dotto" & when painting new plaster the term used is sealing. Also DO NOT use just any matt or One Coat emulsions. You can use Dulux Trade Vinyl Matt Emulsion for sealing & finish coat as long as you follow instructions of paint mentioned.
Thank u 4 your replies.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back